Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Suzuki GS550L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New rider. Bought an 82 GS550L for less than a grand and it's my daily driver. Got a new rear tire after I bought it. Just replaced the spark plugs in early August and need to do the wires next. I want to get this bike up to the running condition that it should be running at. It bogs down if I go over 70mph, mainly when I get on the interstate. It'll hit about 75mph then bog down to about 43mph then I am able to get it back up to 60 and then I get off at the next exit. I have to shift at 6,000 rpm's because it wont go any higher even though it'll rev to 11,000 in neutral. I have some mechanical knowledge but it's four wheel mechanics not two wheel mechanics. I am still learning. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
As of today 9/3/21 I've dropped the bike a few times partly stupidity/ partly weather. Never hurt though thank God. But the last time was on the 9/1 in the rain. I was making a right hand 90 degree turn and there was pea gravel and yep the rear tire lost traction and spun 180 degrees clockwise and down I went. I got her home then covered her up. Yesterday I rewrapped the exhaust pipes and remounted my bags. I noticed there was no oil in the gauge on the side so i put what i had in it and saw that i had half. Today went to go to work and had to call off because the bike won't go over 10mph. I need to figure this out and i Can't find any manuals online for the assistance. Right now it's acting like it's running out of gas but when I open the tank I can see that i have a few inches of fuel left even though my gauge is reading empty. The gauge has issues with working when it wants to also.

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
Welcome. You likely aren't going to like my answer:
You have a bike that is almost 40 years old.
Finding and fixing all the things that might be wrong with it will likely cost you MORE than buying a different bike that is half that age. Really.

Some of your comments makes it sound like it has been heavily modified......like straight pipes maybe and a different intake too probably. Those things alone can cause it to run bad.

First, make sure that it has enough gas in the tank.
Then give it a healthy dose of Berrymans B12 Chem tool in the gas.
I would NOT recommend that you spend (waste) any more money than that on it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts