·
Registered
2002 V-Star XVS1100A Classic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
First time poster on this forum
Hope to meet like minded enthusiasts.
I seem to have a problem and would value the thoughts of others.
I removed the battery from my 2002 V-Star XVS1100A Classic to give it a charge as it has been sitting for a couple of months.
After fully charging it, I went to start her but found I have nothing at all..... No ignition, no lights, no fuel pump etc.
As I have never removed the battery before (usually jump start it in the bike if necessary)
I am curious if there is some sort of code or process I am supposed to do to reactivate it.
I know the battery is good and has a charge of 12.68v..... I cleaned all the terminals and made sure they are making clean contacts.
I have also checked all the fuses I can find but they all seem fine.
I really would appreciate any insight into this problem

Bob

·
Registered
290 Posts
V-Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base - 1 New Owner "MUST READ" Section i included a link for the 1100, there are a couple things you should know. never give it throttle when starting and check to see if the mid shaft nut is tight and staked. the battery grounds to the back of the engine down under in the back hard to locate, sometimes it corrodes and you loose ground. I'm not sure but the are safety switches on the front brake, clutch lever and kickstand that prevent the bike from firing, not sure if they block the lights from coming on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
V-Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base - 1 New Owner "MUST READ" Section i included a link for the 1100, there are a couple things you should know. never give it throttle when starting and check to see if the mid shaft nut is tight and staked. the battery grounds to the back of the engine down under in the back hard to locate, sometimes it corrodes and you loose ground. I'm not sure but the are safety switches on the front brake, clutch lever and kickstand that prevent the bike from firing, not sure if they block the lights from coming on.
Hi nick
Thanks for that...
the way it is..... everything was working great and no matter how little charge i had, I would always at least have the instrument cluster lit up.

the only thing I have done is take the battery out of the bike and bench charge it and then return it to the bike.
Since replacing the battery into the bike I have absolutely nothing....
I have just stripped the bike down and traced all the wiring from Battery up to the ignition switch and it is all fine....
checking it with a multi meter and a circuit tester revealed no breaks anywhere and the ignition switch is working correctly.
I am at a loss....
Tomorrow I think I will do what I probably should have done in the first place and check the battery with the battery tester, its the only logical thing left

I do thank you for your input

Bob

·
Super Moderator
13,035 Posts
There likely is a main fuse located by itself somewhere.
On many models, it is attached to the "input" lug of the starter solenoid.

Are you sure the battery is not in backwards ?

It is not necessary to remove it to charge it up.

Make some voltage measurements with the ignition switch ON.....to put a load on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There likely is a main fuse located by itself somewhere.
On many models, it is attached to the "input" lug of the starter solenoid.

Are you sure the battery is not in backwards ?

It is not necessary to remove it to charge it up.

Make some voltage measurements with the ignition switch ON.....to put a load on it.

Hi Easy Rider
Thanks for the input
I have sussed out the problem....
The battery charger I used to charge the battery killed it
I should have remembered it did this once before
It is not designed for dry cell batteries, I remember killing a deep cycle boat battery a while back.
After testing the battery it has full volts but zero amps...
I have now ordered another battery, hopefully that will fix the problem
I will let you all know how it went once the new battery arrives and is fitted

Bob

·
Super Moderator
13,035 Posts
It is not designed for dry cell batteries, I remember killing a deep cycle boat battery a while back.
Your battery is NOT a "dry cell".
Your charger has somehow failed.
You should throw it in the trash before it damages any more batteries.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your battery is NOT a "dry cell".
Your charger has somehow failed.
You should throw it in the trash before it damages any more batteries.

Hi Easy Rider
Actually the battery fitted to my bike is a dry cell...... Power Sport RT14B-4 XR Series Dry Cell
Original battery was GT14B-4
But I totally agree that I need to upgrade the charger....
It is old and has proven to be lethal to newer batteries.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
13,035 Posts
Actually the battery fitted to my bike is a dry cell...... Power Sport RT14B-4 XR Series Dry Cell
Actually it is NOT.
It is an AGM, like most bike batteries.
A true dry cell battery is usually not rechargeable.
I would not trust a company that uses misleading descriptions like that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually it is NOT.
It is an AGM, like most bike batteries.
A true dry cell battery is usually not rechargeable.
I would not trust a company that uses misleading descriptions like that.
Thanks for that
You learn something new every day :)
I actually figured it meant Gel (AGM)
I assumed you meant it was simply a sealed lead acid when you stated "not dry cell"

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts