Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 vulcan classic 1500.Its running slightly lean. Enough that i can tell it. However i cannot get to it with the carb mounted. I have tried the following just in an attempt to tune the fuel mix screw while bike is running."L" SHAPED GEAR driven screw driver.Taking the air duct out from under the intake. Lights. Inspection mirrors. I just cant get a screw driver on the screw with the carb mounted. I even installed a hose a few inches long between the carb and tje intake but that didnt work out either. How do you reach this screw? The L shaped screwdriver almost worked but visibilty is zero... and the screw driver tip kept getting wedged between the screw and carb housing it sets in. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I was looking at a remote pilot screw but it would still be impossible to get to. With the air duct insyalled and filter hoising off you still jave only an inch clearance and the screw is on bottom facing downward between the carb itself and the intake. Im almost ready to give up. But i hate to pay a mechanic a hundred bucks to turn a freakin screw

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
It's been a long time since I worked on my classic. Have you thought about removing the tank and the air cleaner junk? It should run a short time from the fuel in the bowl and line.

·
Super Moderator
12,554 Posts
Im almost ready to give up. But i hate to pay a mechanic a hundred bucks to turn a freakin screw
If you have all the stock equipment in place, then pay WalMart or AutoZone $3.50 for a can of Berryman's B12 Chemtool and mix 2 OZ per gallon in the gas (2X the recommended dose). If it is stumbling off the line, also turn your idle up where the spec says it should be.

If you DON'T have stock air input or pipes......then bite the bullet and take it to a shop.....if you can find one that will work on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts