Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to completely & successfully remove the factory "warning" stickers that are on the SV gas tank? I have tried all kinds of sticker removal oils (goo-gone-like products) and tools unsuccessfully and I am getting very frustrated. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Heat gun ?? It usually works for me on those warning stickers put on w/ some kind of alien super adhesive only obtainable by OSHA safety engineers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alien super adhesive is the best description for it and no joke.. that stuff would still be pasted on if the tank erupted into flames and exploded.
Think a hairdryer would work just as well (but slower)??

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Hairdryer will work, just slower. I wished they would use the same adhesive for the graphics on dirt bikes. I can wear the graphics off in one race, but the warning decals stay on for the life of the bike, lol.

·
Registered
24 Posts
can't promise it won't take off more than you bargained for, but GumOut dissolves that goo just fine. Put it on a rag, not on the bike, and wipe it off.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Mine had a thin film of laminate on it that I was able to peel off first. I picked at a corner then it just separated from the sticker beneath in one piece. It was much easier to get the rest off after that came off because the Goo Gone was able to get in there and desolve the rest.

·
Registered
19 Posts
&^%#*& Stickers!

....I used heat gun...not much help, then 'goo-gone', helped a little...I then kept it wet with goo-gone and used, very sloooowly, and gently, scraped with a nylon/plastic stick (used for Windshield installation work) with one end
filed down to a sharp wedge...little pieces at a time....it finally worked!

Then I cleaned and waxed the tank, looks good now...what a chore!

Good luck!!

Randy

P.S. a PLASTIC razor blade may work to...just more flimsy than the stick.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
lighter fluid or gas works just fine... :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
A hair dryer and ALOT of patience removed all the stickers from mine. I left only the black I.D. Sticker on the frame.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts