Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas.
Well I have been riding for years but I wanted to pose a question on a forum that deals in all sorts of bikes. I’m looking for a new bike. And I wanted some opinions. I’m kinda wanting a standard. A naked. Something along those lines. Sporty but comfortable. But I am wanting a smaller bike. I’ve had 250s and 600s. Had a few liter class sport bikes. Some Harleys. All sorts. I have a VTX1800 now. I am looking for a small bike. Lightweight. But enough power to cruise on the highway and take my wife on occasion as well. I’m looking at the new z400 from Kawasaki. The duke 390 is an option but I’ve heard they aren’t very comfy and bad on the highway. Figured I could get some good opinions here. Maybe give some unwanted ones as well haha
Well thanks guys. I appreciate it

·
Super Moderator
12,202 Posts
Don't know about the current models but the Kaw 900 Custom from about 2010 to 2015 were EXCELLENT bikes.
Good power. Not too heavy. The custom version handled great.
Don't overlook them just because they really are a v-twin cruiser. They ride more like a sport bike.
Good gas mileage too.

Good luck in your search.

·
Still crazy after all these years
14,182 Posts
When you say "a small bike", what exactly are you referring to? Displacement? Weight?

A bike that is comfortable for 2-up and highway riding needs to have some weight and enough displacement to keep you moving at highway speeds and allow you to accelerate out of trouble from there. I used to have a small bike that was a danger on the highway - it maxxed out at 90kmh, meaning that I could barely pass the 28-ton trucks rolling up the slow lane while holding up a line of cars that wanted to pass. When I moved up to my 1400, I was much safer, because I can easily accelerate to 120kmh (highway speed limit) and far beyond if necessary. The cost of the additional displacement is weight, so I am not able to "toss" the bike around when I'm up in the twisties. The best example of this was a group ride several years ago, where I was on my 1400 and a friend was riding a little, historic 150ccm that he had restored. We would ride up a mountain and have to wait at the top for Dom to catch up, since his 150 was not very fast. Going down the other side, Dom could easily ride down and had to wait for us to "man-handle" our bikes down the hairpin turns.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts