Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has just failed its MOT because my indicators stop altogether when the front or back brake is applied at the same time. My horn and other lights work fine. I have cleaned the earth on all the indicators but still the same problem.

I put a voltmeter on the indicator which showed the flashes, when the brakes are applied the power reading drops to nearly nothing.

Any thoughts I'm beat!

Cheers,

Eric

·
Super Moderator
12,794 Posts
I have cleaned the earth on all the indicators but still the same problem.
I think you were on the right track there....probably.

With the ignition off, no brakes applied and signals off......measure from the shield of each of your bulb sockets to earth ground with an ohm-meter.......with the bulbs OUT. I suspect that you will find one where the ground is NOT present.......or you will find one socket that is corroded or rusty and not making contact with the "shield" of the bulb.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does it mean?

Cheers for that,

when I do the back two indicators as you say, the meter does nothing.

When I do the front two indicators the needle jumps up. What does that mean?

When the sheild and earth connect, should the needle move or not?

Thanks,

Eric

·
Super Moderator
12,794 Posts
When the sheild and earth connect, should the needle move or not?
Not knowing EXACTLY what you are doing.....and what kind of meter you have......the needle should do the same thing that it does if you touch the two probe tips together. That indicates a connection.

If it does NOT do that, there is no connection.

·
Registered
910 Posts
My bike has just failed its MOT because my indicators stop altogether when the front or back brake is applied at the same time.
So what you are saying is you do not check your lights on a regular basis and rely on some one else to do it for you once a year. Get the bike fixed and check regularly for malfunctions. I never leave home without checking all the lights and other equipment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why bother?

So what you are saying is you do not check your lights on a regular basis and rely on some one else to do it for you once a year. Get the bike fixed and check regularly for malfunctions. I never leave home without checking all the lights and other equipment.
That’s some assumption you’re making! To help pacify your worry, the bike has been a garage find and has sat for 12 years off the road and not running. I’m trying to give it a new lease of life. Your comments clearly don’t help resolve the problem I have highlighted so why bother. In fact, please don’t bother.

·
Super Moderator
12,794 Posts
the bike has been a garage find and has sat for 12 years off the road and not running.
Two thoughts:

While it might not turn out to be important to this narrow problem, NOT mentioning BIG pieces of information like that often draws out problem discussions a LOT longer than is necessary.
AND
What WW said was meant to help you long term. The simple fact that the INSPECTION caught the defect and not YOU, makes it pretty obvious that you didn't check the lights.

His intent is to be helpful.
If his intent was to just beat you up for the fun of it, the wording would have been MUCH different. :shock:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts