Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Anyone else want to hop on this train, and put their opinion up as the best helmet they think is out there?
The best helmet is one that fits right. The first helmet I had was not tight enough and loosened up to the point where it fit way too big. The helmet I have now for $150 and the next model up (same brand) for $200 fit differently, the expensive one seemed about a half size smaller. Find a dealer that has someone experienced in fitting helmets and make sure you get one snug enough.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I feel like I'm looking at a vending machine, filled with helmets, and I can't decide if I want salty or sweet.
ermm... why not get both in one?
don't look at a helmet with your eyes...

The best helmet is one that fits right. The first helmet I had was not tight enough and loosened up to the point where it fit way too big. The helmet I have now for $150 and the next model up (same brand) for $200 fit differently, the expensive one seemed about a half size smaller. Find a dealer that has someone experienced in fitting helmets and make sure you get one snug enough.
bang on.

you should be buying a helmet for the "options" you are looking for.
here are a few things you have to look for in a helmet
-fit
-snell/dot rated

things you may want to look for
- venting
- anti fog visor
- ease of replacing/changing out the visor
- quick release buckle
- noise reduction
- weight

heavy helmets can be tiresome on those long rides.. etc..

don't get me wrong.. shoei make good helmets... just make sure it fits well...

·
M-J Member of the Month!!
2,758 Posts
The thing about helmet is that they are not all shaped the same. I wear an Shoei RF-1000 and a Scorpion 700. The Shoei is awsome. Is is $200 better than the Scorpion? I am not sure. Any way, back to my point. Some helmets are designed for people with rounder heads (HJC) and some are better for us oval shaped heads. My Shoei has a bit more of an oval shape to it than the Scorpion. The pressure around the top of your head should be the same all the way around. If there is more pressure on the front, you need a more round shape. If there is more pressure on the sides, you need a oval shape. I have had Arai in the past and they are the best as far as fit. Most dealers who sell them know how to fit them and Arai makes helmets for most shaped heads and then they have extra interior pads to fine tune the fit. For example, I wear a Large with a Medium pad. Fits like a glove.

I am going to be due for a new helmet next year and planned on going back to Arai. But I tried on Shark last week. I may give them a shot. A lot less expensive and seemed to fit and feel like an Arai. If it don't work out, I can use it as my second helmet and get an Arai.

A helmet that fits right makes all the difference in the world.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts