Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dr. Bob I'm hoping you have an answer for this. Suzuki VS750 1986 I've heard it on many forums but no definitive resolution. The bike sat outside for many years until I came along and rescued it. I'm old school bike mechanic so I know what I'm getting into with a long sitting bike. When I got it started and believe me when I say I took every precaution known to mankind in preperation for it starting and it started first crank and it sounded fine for the first few months. Then it started a knocking, heavy ticking sound at the base of the first cylinder. It sounds like a spun bearing or a really loose lifter but it has never gotten worse. The sound completly goes away once warmed up (it takes about 10 mins to warm up). The sound hasn't gotten any louder the bike pulls like a tractor and we have been on many long trips together (about 2000 km) since it started and no issues what so ever. Should I strip it down in the winter and look for reasons to rebuild or live with the cold starting knock? By the way 1985 - 1998 Intruders can be had for about $1,000 in Canada So rebuilding is rarely an option other than I love the "snowflake" wheels rather than the spoke. They don't make anything like the Intruder now a days so I'm hooked on the style...thoughts?

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
That bike is worth half that down here, even without the knock. Sounds like a rod bearing to me- the front cylinder con rod bearing is usually the first thing to go on an old Intruder. If you really want to rebuild the motor, go ahead, but you'll have to order every single gasket and bearing separately and from a Suzuki dealership, as no one else makes tham, so it gets expensive.
I would ride it till that bearing finally gives out and the bike tosses a rod, then swap the snowflakes over to another Intruder. Just remount the front tire the other way, swap the wheel around, and it will bolt right onto any Intruder 700, 750, 800, or S50 1985-2009. The rear wheel bolts right on too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts