Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently in search of a cruiser under a grand, that needs some engine work (without taking the engine out), 600-900cc abouts, and doesn't need a full restoration.

I found a bike that fit the bill, but I'm hesitating because it's 7 hours away and I don't want to take time off. I'm not new to road trips, just not looking forward to this one. Will be loading the bike in the truck, no trailer. So I'm asking if this would be worth it, talk me into it haha.

It's a 2005 M50, 32k miles, blue and chrome, and just about immaculate visually, $800. Clean title, on non-op status. Has saddle bags and backrest. Comes with an engine guard and windshield. The seller says it starts but runs rough. I'm waiting back for more details, like if there's knocking or lower end noise, stalls, etc.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
IF you don't feel good about making this trip, then you should NOT do it.
My rule is: NEVER buy anything where the seller says: "It only needs......(anything)"
because it might be a LOT worse than it appears.

A 14 hour round trip for a used bike that old.......never.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm currently in search of a cruiser under a grand, that needs some engine work (without taking the engine out), 600-900cc abouts, and doesn't need a full restoration.

I found a bike that fit the bill, but I'm hesitating because it's 7 hours away and I don't want to take time off. I'm not new to road trips, just not looking forward to this one. Will be loading the bike in the truck, no trailer. So I'm asking if this would be worth it, talk me into it haha.

It's a 2005 M50, 32k miles, blue and chrome, and just about immaculate visually, $800. Clean title, on non-op status. Has saddle bags and backrest. Comes with an engine guard and windshield. The seller says it starts but runs rough. I'm waiting back for more details, like if there's knocking or lower end noise, stalls, etc.
I had a 05 M50, and I still miss it every nice day. I had to sell it for health and unemployment issues. I had 27,000 miles on it 2 years ago and had had no major issues with it. I took care of it myself and every other year brought it to a mechanic to make sure I hadn't missed anything. The M50 is a great ride. Having said that, if you're not sure you want it don't go get it. At $800 you won't lose money, you could always part it out. I think it would be worth the trip, but that's me. Ultimately you have to decide.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts