Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty handy with tools but have never worked on a motorcycle before. Is changing an oil pump on a 97 Intruder 1400 difficult?

·
Super Moderator
12,155 Posts
I don't know......but suspect that it would be difficult because it likely is located INSIDE the crankcase space.

But....if the frame is designed so that you can drop the "pan" without taking the engine out, it might not be too bad.

Hope someone will be able to give you a better answer.

What leads you to believe that the pump is bad ??

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
I am not sure but most of the oil pumps I have worked on are located under the inner covers on the RH side. The smaller models such as the 800 which I believe became the C or M 50 have an oil pump directly behind the clutch driven by a small chain. The clutch, in this case needs to be removed....in itself not a big job. I would suspect Suzuki have followed this type of oil pump for the bigger models.

Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am pretty handy with tools but have never worked on a motorcycle before. Is changing an oil pump on a 97 Intruder 1400 difficult?
I have a '92. The factory book, and Clymer books I have show the engine has to be out and the cases split to get at the oil pump. It's mounted in the right half of the crankcase, and is only accessible from inside. Not what you wanted to hear, I know. Sorry bruh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts