Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to the SV forums and have some questions regarding the SV models. I currently own a Boulevard M50 and while it is an inexpensive and great running bike, I'm getting bored with the performance. The problem is, my wife loves to ride passenger on it and is very comfortable on it. Although I ride it 99% of the time and would much rather be riding a GSXR-750, I can't justify that having to have a passenger every now and then.

So what I'm trying to do is find a bike that will be a good balance of both performance and comfort, not only for me but while me and the wife are riding together. After looking at all the other major manufacturers, I can't find anything even close to what I need. The SV1000 seems to be a decent fit for me but never having ridden one, I'm not sure if I will be unhappy with anything about it.

First, how is the performance as compared to say a V-Twin cruiser and most importantly, does anyone have a passenger and if so, how comfortable is the SV for the passenger?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The SV1000 is a sport bike and not a cruiser. HP 111.2 @ 9000, Torque 70.7ft/lbs @ 7500 and 1/4 mile in 10.95sec @ 125.77mph. Either SV is great for 2up riding.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The SV1000 is a sport bike and not a cruiser. HP 111.2 @ 9000, Torque 70.7ft/lbs @ 7500 and 1/4 mile in 10.95sec @ 125.77mph. Either SV is great for 2up riding.
That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Having never ridden one, I was just assuming that 1000cc inline 4 would have plenty of power.

Any idea what the new Bandit 1250 has to offer compared to the SV?

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Yeah, if you really want the Mrs. to be happy, try a Bandit 1250 also. The SV is really a sportbike with real-world ergos. It's probably not much different than a GSXR for a passenger.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Hehe. You need to invest in some new dung. Welcome back!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have an '03 SV1000S and my best friend has an '08 M50. Performance-wise, there's no comparison. SV will run circles around it. Although I'm sure it is more comfortable for a passenger than my bike, my wife has rode with me for more than a few 120+ mile trips with no complaints.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi there. I have recently gone from an M50 to a V-Strom 1000. This has a slightly de tuned motor from the SV. It is more of an upright position than a sports bike but may be an option you may wish to investigate. I have done about 5000 km's on mine since purchasing it in January this year and I absolutely love it. Not sure how they are sold in the states but over here in New Zealand they come with a good screen, top box and panniers. The luggage is very easily removed when not needed and the screen is adjustable in height. When you do have the top box on it makes a great backrest for your passenger and you can lock two full face helmets in it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts