Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with triumphs "American" model? All I know is I like the way it looks Im looking for a bike me and my wife can cruise on. Do you think it would have enough power?

·
Registered
589 Posts
I believe he's refering to the Bonneville America. It's a Bonneville with an "American" cruiser layout (feet positioned further foward, higher bars, more chrome I believe). It's got an 865cc parallel twin, which will have plenty of power for you and the wifey to cruise on. I've heard that it makes power comparable to 1100cc jap v-twin cruisers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own a 05 model and its alot better than the 79. Don't get me I like both bikes but I'm getting up in age and kicking the 79 over is getting harder every year.

·
Registered
589 Posts
bridgewrecker said:
I own a 05 model and its alot better than the 79. Don't get me I like both bikes but I'm getting up in age and kicking the 79 over is getting harder every year.
Kicking over? What's that??? :mrgreen:
Hey bridgewrecker, welcome to the forum. There are lots of riders here and lots of useful information. You should drop by the introductions thread that is located in the lobby and introduce yourself! Everyone's always interested in the new guys and their rides. Welcome!
http://www.motorcycle-journal.com/forum/new-member-intros/

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 79 has an extra lever, you have to pull it out and with your right leg stand and jump on that lever to get the bike started, I should add that you had to make sure the key was turned on. To turn the back light on the key has to be turned the whole way to the right.

·
Registered
589 Posts
bridgewrecker said:
The 79 has an extra lever, you have to pull it out and with your right leg stand and jump on that lever to get the bike started, I should add that you had to make sure the key was turned on. To turn the back light on the key has to be turned the whole way to the right.
I do hope you realize I was being sarcastic. It runs rampant around here!

·
Registered
5 Posts
919Hooligan said:
I do hope you realize I was being sarcastic. It runs rampant around here!
I knew you were being sarcastic, but then when some people saw me jumping up and down on the bike, they didn't know I was trying to start it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
bridgewrecker said:
I knew you were being sarcastic, but then when some people saw me jumping up and down on the bike, they didn't know I was trying to start it.
I figured you were. It's funny, but I wonder how many people on this site have actually ever kickstarted a motorcycle. That's what I like about old bikes; you have to be actually "involved" with the machine. If you're not, then you won't be riding for long.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Triumph?

Test drove the Rocket III last year, and if I was buying a triumph, that would be it! That thing is named appropriately! pulled in every gear, 0-60 was insane, including 60 to 90. Loved it, but didnt love the pricetag.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
919Hooligan said:
I figured you were. It's funny, but I wonder how many people on this site have actually ever kickstarted a motorcycle. That's what I like about old bikes; you have to be actually "involved" with the machine. If you're not, then you won't be riding for long.
So true. I have a 76 KZ750 with electric and a kick start. I use the kicker quite a bit to save the starter ( getting parts is getting hard ). Sometimes you get that look from people that says " that crazy man is kicking the crap out of his bike because he can't get it to work " :shock:

·
Registered
558 Posts
I've heard that it makes power comparable to 1100cc jap v-twin cruisers.
I rode one today for the first time. I'd say this is a bit of a stretch. IIRC, it's ~50 hp, and no torque monster either. But it is definitely an absolute pleasure to ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you ever ride a Rocket 3 You WILL buy it. our local dealer (D&D import motorcycles in Norfolk Va) hooked me up with a new 2006 leftover Rocket 3 Classic for $14,500 out the door with 2 nice full face helmets, luggage rack, and tall sissy bar. I was an old hardcore Honda rider and I really love the Goldwings but I'll never be able to give up my rocket. this bike does not even take notice of 2 riders and gear on its back. the best part is the attention it draws every where it goes. even my bros I ride with ogle it whenever we get together. you owe it to yourself. try it, you will like it! ;-)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi All,

I'll be the dissenting opinion here. I owned a 2004 Bonneville America for 16 months (10,000 miles.) It was a love/hate relationship. I loved that the bike was different from other bikes. I remember having lunch at a restaurant with a bunch of other bikes parked out front. My girlfriend (now wife) was with me, and someone came in from outside and announced "Who owns the Triumph?" I said it was me, the guy comes over and we talk about bikes for a few minutes. Stuff like that happens all the time. It drove the Harley crowd nuts.

On the other hand, I had electical problems galore. The bike was so unreliable that a couple of things happened. First, I made some great friends at the bike shop, as I was always there getting something fixed. The second thing that happened was that I got sick of it, and on my dealer's recommendation, I traded it on a Suzuki Boulevard C50. (My dealer sells/services Triumph, Suzuki, and Honda.) He said going from the America to the Rocket was like going from the frying pan to the fire. He spent a good amount of time talking me out of the Rocket, saying it was more unreliable than the America, and called it a "service nightmare." Then, there was always the issue of waiting for parts to arrive from England. That, however, is the dealer's fault for not having a larger Triumph parts inventory.

The Suzuki handles better around town, but I prefer the Triumph's riding position on the highway. The Triumph can't hold a candle to the Suzuki as far as reliability. All it has been to the shop for is routine maintenence.

Agreed on the Rocket as far as beauty and the way it rides, but I doubt I would ever buy another Triumph product. That said, I still miss the America, but not the hassles. Life is too short.

Nels

·
Registered
2 Posts
America

Hi all,

First time to this site. I'm also looking seriously to get the Bonnie America. Although I've been riding Harley's the last few years, I've always wanted a Triumph.
I'll be looking here often to get feedback on the America. I like the way it sits with the forward controls.

Thanks for the posts,
Phil

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Welcome, Phil.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts