Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mcy/4019104391.html

002 zr-7s, almost 60k miles, only $1500.

i want something thats got a power upgrade from my ninja but still manageable for my semi-newbie skills. (been riding for a year on a ninja 250 and suzuki m50)

if its in good shape, and i can talk the owner down to $1000 or less, i might get it, but it will need some engine overhauling, and im not sure if its worth picking up, or should i just keep searching for a cheap ninja 650?

·
Super Moderator
12,350 Posts
and im not sure if its worth picking up, or should i just keep searching for a cheap ninja 650?
No and yes....or what's wrong with the M50 ?
Start logging more miles on IT.

Or if the M isn't quite your cup of tea for the long term,
start looking for a good used bike at some dealers and trade it in.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i love my M, its my daily driver, but i miss having a sportier bike for weekend romps.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
The Kawasaki is not a particularly good deal. One in good running condition with average mileage and nothing wrong with it from a dealer is worth $2300, and in a private sale about $1750. This one has twice the average miles on it, and there is something wrong with it, so it ain't worth squat. As a mechanic, I might take a chance on it for $500, but if you are not a mechanic, and he has already tried all the inexpensive things like a tune up, carb cleaning, etc, I would STRONGLY recommend that you do not even consider buying this bike at any price. An engine overhaul would easily set you back a couple grand or more, and the bike just isn't worth that.

There are plenty of low miles, good running used bikes out there. Find one and skip this junk.

·
Super Moderator
12,350 Posts
i want something thats got a power upgrade from my ninja but still manageable for my semi-newbie skills.
but i miss having a sportier bike for weekend romps.
OK, here's the part that has me confused.
How do you "miss" something that you have never HAD ?? :mrgreen:

If you still have the Ninja, keep shopping.
In my opinion, you are right at the edge of the experience point where you should be looking for something bigger.

It worries me just a bit when somebody with only a year of experience thinks he needs "more power" in a street bike.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im not interested in buying a supersport, lol. i want a streetfighter style bike for fun on the weekend, something like a FZ-6 or FZ-8 or a Ninja 650. i just saw the deal and figured id ask around before pulling the trigger. all comments are appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts