Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Well isn't that interesting, I had heard of these some time back , I know that they are being built in India for the Asian and Euro markets but last I heard they wouldn't be sold stateside.
Apparently that was incorrect, these will be the first foreign built Harleys since back in the AMF days when Aermacchi H-D was building bikes in Italy.

Oh and your link doesn't work so.... Harley-Davidson USA | Harley-Davidson USA

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Well isn't that interesting, I had heard of these some time back , I know that they are being built in India for the Asian and Euro markets but last I heard they wouldn't be sold stateside.
Apparently that was incorrect, these will be the first foreign built Harleys since back in the AMF days when Aermacchi H-D was building bikes in Italy.

Oh and your link doesn't work so.... Harley-Davidson USA | Harley-Davidson USA
A bit of a risk for Harley. In terms of brand dilution.

I notice the rider in the advert link above is Asian, not a coincidence presumably, given the markets where this bike will mainly be pitched.
Plenty of Taiwanese Kymco scooter riders who would like to upgrade to a Harley.

Well Y2K at least I ride a real mans V twin with none of the Victory range below 1200 cc. Ha Ha! Now where is James Coburn? He would like the new model.

This will give Yamaha's new Bolt a bashing. But will these new model Harleys survive?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I notice the rider in the advert link above is Asian, not a coincidence presumably, given the markets where this bike will mainly be pitched.
for folks looking for a commuter bike this should be perfect. cant wait for some mpg results. i can definitely see these replacing the 883 (based on the numbers i've seen they're already quicker and faster). and later on pushing the vrod line towards the mainstream ( or at least more options) as more people get used to that type of harley

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
A bit of a risk for Harley. In terms of brand dilution.

Well Y2K at least I ride a real mans V twin with none of the Victory range below 1200 cc. Ha Ha! Now where is James Coburn? He would like the new model.

This will give Yamaha's new Bolt a bashing. But will these new model Harleys survive?
for folks looking for a commuter bike this should be perfect. cant wait for some mpg results. i can definitely see these replacing the 883 (based on the numbers i've seen they're already quicker and faster). and later on pushing the vrod line towards the mainstream ( or at least more options) as more people get used to that type of harley
They should build the ones sold here in the USA,I think made in India will turn off a lot of potential buyers that want an entry level Harley but want it to be a real Harley made in the USA not an import.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They should build the ones sold here in the USA,I think made in India will turn off a lot of potential buyers that want an entry level Harley but want it to be a real Harley made in the USA not an import.
from what i've read they will be assembled here to get around import taxes. kinda like the iphone.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I reckon this is a Harley made in India primarily for the Indian and East Asian markets.
Sure they will sell it worldwide, they are a global brand.
It makes sense for the international market but will be met with some dismay in the US, I think.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
from what i've read they will be assembled here to get around import taxes. kinda like the iphone.
I reckon this is a Harley made in India primarily for the Indian and East Asian markets.
Sure they will sell it worldwide, they are a global brand.
It makes sense for the international market but will be met with some dismay in the US, I think.
Yup yup yup.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Wait till the word gets out, "Harley dealers selling Indian motorcycles starting this spring".

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
The ones sold in the USA, Canada, and Mexico will be built at the Harley plant in Kansas City. The ones sold in the rest of the world will be built in India.

Hmmm...54 HP, 100 pounds lighter than a Boulevard M50, steel fenders, modern belt drive, and a 6 speed...and $1,300 less than the Suzuki. I can't wait to take one for a spin around town.

With two inches more suspension travel than a Sportster it should be a lot friendlier to drive in an urban environment. Sales will probably be lukewarm at best in the US (where the 500cc version will replace the Buell Blast as the learner bike at Rider's Edge classes), but I bet they sell the snot out of them in the rest of the world, especially India and South America where the 500cc version will be considered big, and in nations there they have a tiered license structure that puts a full sized Harley out of reach of all but the most experienced and wealthy riders.

The overseas markets have been profitable for Harley in recent years, and have to greatest potential for continued and sustained sale growth. India in particular is showing big returns for Harley, and they have now started assembling bikes in South America also. Good to see a US company thinking globally, and I wish them well. I would love to see Victory target something at this segment also- let's see if we can't make "Made in USA" the dominant force in the global motorcycle market again. Like the good old days, back before Japan pushed the US brands back to our own shores and drove the British out of the game. Of course, sadly, it was Harley that founded the Japanese motorcycle industry to begin with, and introduced Japan to the whole concept of mass production. Oops.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm...54 HP, 100 pounds lighter than a Boulevard M50, steel fenders, modern belt drive, and a 6 speed...and $1,300 less than the Suzuki. I can't wait to take one for a spin around town.
that the specs on the 750? i havent seen any official numbers yet.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Yup. 747cc, 54 rear wheel HP at 7,500 RPM, 480 pounds with a full tank of gas. $7,499. The 494cc version is simply sleeved down for a smaller bore, makes 43 rear wheel HP, and will cost $6,700.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
The ones sold in the USA, Canada, and Mexico will be built at the Harley plant in Kansas City. The ones sold in the rest of the world will be built in India.

With two inches more suspension travel than a Sportster it should be a lot friendlier to drive in an urban environment. Sales will probably be lukewarm at best in the US (where the 500cc version will replace the Buell Blast as the learner bike at Rider's Edge classes), but I bet they sell the snot out of them in the rest of the world, especially India and South America where the 500cc version will be considered big, and in nations there they have a tiered license structure that puts a full sized Harley out of reach of all but the most experienced and wealthy riders.

The overseas markets have been profitable for Harley in recent years, and have to greatest potential for continued and sustained sale growth. India in particular is showing big returns for Harley, and they have now started assembling bikes in South America also. Good to see a US company thinking globally, and I wish them well. I would love to see Victory target something at this segment also- let's see if we can't make "Made in USA" the dominant force in the global motorcycle market again. Like the good old days, back before Japan pushed the US brands back to our own shores and drove the British out of the game. Of course, sadly, it was Harley that founded the Japanese motorcycle industry to begin with, and introduced Japan to the whole concept of mass production. Oops.
Now are these really built in the US or just assembled here from Indian made parts that's what I'd like to know.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
You have it backwards. The bikes build in India will be assembled from primarily American parts, shipped directly to the factory there, rather than in kit form as is done now. Engines and other parts made in-house by Harley will be shipped from Kansas City to India, while the parts bought from vendors in the US (and Japan in the case of forks and electronics) will be shipped directly from the vendor instead of going to Kansas City first, as they do now.. The only parts made in India will be the gas tank and fenders. The bikes made in the USA will use fenders and tanks made in the US, and the rest of the parts will come from Harley's usual sources. Nothing on the North American bikes will come from India.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
You have it backwards. The bikes build in India will be assembled from primarily American parts, shipped directly to the factory there, rather than in kit form as is done now. Engines and other parts made in-house by Harley will be shipped from Kansas City to India, while the parts bought from vendors in the US (and Japan in the case of forks and electronics) will be shipped directly from the vendor instead of going to Kansas City first, as they do now.. The only parts made in India will be the gas tank and fenders. The bikes made in the USA will use fenders and tanks made in the US, and the rest of the parts will come from Harley's usual sources. Nothing on the North American bikes will come from India.
Thanks Doc, that's great to hear.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Harley just opened their first Philippine branch and by far, the best seller is the 883.

Mainly because of price and also because bikes 400cc and up are already considered big.

3rd reason is road and traffic condition. Bad roads, undiciplined foot traffic/drivers, and all around bumper to bumper traffic. It would be absolute HELL driving a big twin in these conditions.

Small and nimble is the name of the game here.

Smart move by HD.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts