Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking I want to make my Kat sound as good as she rides, but I haven't found any exhausts specific to Katanas.

Are the exhausts for GSXRs compatible?
I don't necessarily want LOUD, but loudER would be good.

EDIT - ok, I found some exhausts. Now I am confused as to what exactly a slip-on is. I looked at my exhaust and it's all welded until right behind the right footpeg. I was hoping to just unbolt the stock and bolt on a new muffler/pipe assembly. Continuing to Google.......

· Tire Eating Moderator
2,580 Posts
Nadular said:
I have been thinking I want to make my Kat sound as good as she rides, but I haven't found any exhausts specific to Katanas.

EDIT - ok, I found some exhausts. Now I am confused as to what exactly a slip-on is. I looked at my exhaust and it's all welded until right behind the right footpeg. I was hoping to just unbolt the stock and bolt on a new muffler/pipe assembly. Continuing to Google.......
A slip-on just replaces the muffler and part of the mid-pipe. If you have a 98+ then a yoshi slip-on is a very good choice. There is also Vance & Hines, hindle, etc.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I see a slip-on is what I would really want.....would it require a bit of fiddling with the carb mixture?
And are the Yoshi's for GSXRs good for GSXs?

...still out Googling.....

· Tire Eating Moderator
2,580 Posts
Nadular said:
So I see a slip-on is what I would really want.....would it require a bit of fiddling with the carb mixture?
And are the Yoshi's for GSXRs good for GSXs?

...still out Googling.....
I doubt anything for the new gsxr's is gonna fit the katana. Look for stuff for the gsxf <--katana. For a slip-on the carbs shouldn't need any tuning. My buddy just got a yoshi slip-on for his '04 katana 750. Nothing was needed.

· Registered
61 Posts
While the bike should see a slight increase in HP (especially in the 4000 to 6500 RPM range where the Kats are weakest) simply by slipping on the new muffler, you can get more performance out of it by adjusting the fuel mixture, ignition timing, etc.

Check out Sportbike Rider (and other biking websites) as they often have good tech articles on there and may have something regarding slip-on exhaust tuning.

There should also be some instructions included with the slip-on if you buy it new.

· Registered
15 Posts
kat exhausts

I asked the same question to my mechanic, the slip-on exhaust tip will only give you more brake horse power he informed me, unless you change the entire system from the header... I would recommend you go with a K&N filter modification for additional power - you will notice it immediately.
For me it was a worth while investment, w/o having to spend a lot of $$$.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, guys!
I won't probably be able to do the muffler till after I recover financially from my wedding (this coming Friday) and Christmas, but I have been lurking in this forum since late July and haven't found the answers to my question....so I asked :)
By the time I can afford it, I should be pretty knowledgable anyway.

· Registered
61 Posts
Final thought

Just one more thought on the slip-on, for the price, and given that there's little added performance, I'd also recommend looking at other routes (such as air filter, better suspension set up, accessories such as saddlebags, tank bag, etc., better riding gear, and so on).

The slip-ons give very little in HP gain, and only a little in weight savings. Of course, they make your bike louder (if you like that). Personally, I think that over 7,000 rpm, the Kat growls as nicely as any bike. And under 7,000 you likely want the bike quiet anyway.

· Registered
13 Posts
Nadular said:

I recently went through the same process. In my opinion, the Kat's stock exhaust is to quiet. The engine itself is louder than the exhaust. Even at higher rpm, you can still hear the engine over the exhaust. To me, the only bikes that should be so quiet are mopeds and Goldwings ;)

I wanted it to be louder, but not buzzy or overbearing...just healthy. I heard a Kat with a D&D pipe and it was really buzzy and obnoxious, in my opinion, so I ruled that out. But that was the only pipe I'd heard on a Kat, so I decided to trust the majority and get a Yoshi. I got a great deal on one at eBay.

Having no previous experience to draw from, I was concerned about the difficulty level of installing it. But it was a piece of cake to install. Don't sweat it. It took me about 10 or 15 minutes.

If you look at your pipe, there are (2) 12mm bolts that hold it in place, one at the passenger footpeg, one at the rear brake lever. You remove those two bolts to release it from the bike frame. Then, follow the pipe underneath and you'll see an o-ring clamp, also with a 12mm bolt to secure it. You loosen that 12mm o-ring bolt and then pull the muffler toward the rear of the bike to remove it. It will separate right near that o-ring. I had to work it a bit to get it to come apart. I was concerned that I would bend something, so I didn't muscle it too much. I just kept after it with left/right twisting action as I pulled on the muffler and it eventually came out.

The new one goes on easily with a new (supplied) bracket and bolt for mounting to the passenger peg bracket. You reuse the bolt at the rear brake lever and the one on the o-ring. They all need to be tightened with a torque wrench, the specs are also in the instructions.

After installing it, honestly, I was almost disappointed when I first fired it up. But I got out and rode around for a bit and was very pleasantly surprised. It sounded great. I went on a 3 hour ride with some friends the next day and it seems like it opened up more during that ride. When I first start it up now, it seems a little louder and more impressive than it did the first time I started it. Now, it's exactly what I was looking for; not overbearing or buzzy, but definitely strong and healthy. It sounds like a healthy bike SHOULD sound! I LOVE it! 8)

One thing to note, get a new "exhaust collection gasket" from the Suzuki shop before the pipe arrives. It goes right where the new pipe slips on. I didn't know I'd need that until the pipe arrived and I saw it in the instructions.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Schaw!!

Nice detail, you answered a lot of unspoken questions. It's great to have a beaten path to follow. Glad you had this experience to share and all turned out right for you.

:D

· Registered
12 Posts
not to highjack this thread, but is there a part number or a size for the Yoshi? I'm new to bikes and don't know.

· Registered
13 Posts
DJHowie said:
not to highjack this thread, but is there a part number or a size for the Yoshi? I'm new to bikes and don't know.
There are part numbers, although I don't know what they are off the top of my head. You can probably find them on the Yoshi site, but anyone who sells the exhaust will list it according to the bike it fits and the type of exhaust it is. For instance, mine is the Carbon Fiber RS-3 slip-on for 98-02 Katana. There are other variations (Stainless, Chrome, full exhaust system with headers, etc) of the RS-3 for my bike, but the differences are always listed in the description. Some sites do list the Yoshi part numbers in the item descriptions, though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.