Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just now getting involved into bikes I was wondering if a Katana was a good starting bike and what was tha top speed anything would help me out here thx.

A

·
0 Posts
Some of guys would argue that my opinion is stifling, but I'd recommend starting out on something smaller. Lot's of guys start out on a big bike and never have an opportunity to enjoy a featherweight. Smaller bikes are a hoot, and give you the advantage of pacing yourself as you learn the ropes! I personally know several riders who have literally toured the country on sub-250cc bikes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How big of a difference would there be between the katana and gsxr?

As I understand it the katana would be better to start on.

I think a 600 is fine if you have common sense. My first bike EVER was a hurricane 750....took me a month before I ever took it out of the neighborhood but it was great.

(I am currently looking for a used bike after not riding for 10years)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Tcm944 said:
How big of a difference would there be between the katana and gsxr?

As I understand it the katana would be better to start on.

I think a 600 is fine if you have common sense. My first bike EVER was a hurricane 750....took me a month before I ever took it out of the neighborhood but it was great.

(I am currently looking for a used bike after not riding for 10years)
There's a pretty big difference between the Katana and GSXR. The GSXR is significantly faster, lighter, handles better, and has better brakes. It is also much easier to get into trouble with. I'd pick something slightly less powerful to get back into riding with (say a Kat 750? :D ). Since you do have riding experience, that might not be so bad. I wouldn't recommend a Kat 750 to a new rider, but for someone who has ridden sportsbikes in the past, it should be fine.

·
Site Admin & Squeegee Boy
4,424 Posts
Killerclowns said:
I am just now getting involved into bikes I was wondering if a Katana was a good starting bike and what was tha top speed anything would help me out here thx.
In my book a Kat 600 would be a the very limits of what I would consider a beginner bike, would prefer to see a first time rider on something under 60 hp, the Kat 600 has 80hp. But it is a much saner choice than any GSX-R to start out on it at least has more progressive power delivery and doseable brakes..

A GSX-R 600 with 120 hp, hair trigger controls, twitchy suspension is not a good choice for a new rider or even some intermediates riders I know.

·
0 Posts
I have a katana 600 and it's my first bike and it's a great bike to start with I think, because you get the streetbike looks with good, but not insane power, it's very easy to ride and comfortable too. I think the top speed is like 150mph or so, but that's too fast for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Gsx600Fv or "Katana"

is my first Big bike but iv ridden geared smaller numbers. Its probly a bit much for a complete Novice but for someone of similar experience its great.

Mine tops at 135MPH (NOT ON THE PUBLIC ROADS MIND :wink: )

0-60 in just over 4.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I started small, but I now have a katana 600 and I love it. stock mine did abot 130, but i jetted the carb and but a new full exhaust system on it and now it will do 160 mph not a bad investment, I don''t recomend a new rider making any alterations to engine and performance till thy get comfortable on what they have. Just a sugestion, cuz I know no matter how much anyone talks, if you want a big bik (600 plus) you are gonna get it. Just DON'T alter till later, Every post I read about 600 bikes, Bob is saying they are not for new riders, which I agree, but I am sure Bob's and everyone esle is getting tired of trying to talk people into 250's and 500, so get the 600 and don't change it.

·
Site Admin & Squeegee Boy
4,424 Posts
I know I keep repeating myself but if I can keep one rider out of an E.R it's worth it.

I don't care about engine size, it's the power and power delivery that I warn against.

60hp is more than anybody really needs for riding on the streets or going cross country.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
One post and he hasn't been back. I guess all he really wanted was someone to help him find the top speed. :roll:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought this bike by accident it was my second choice but I love it I got luck with 2003 and 15.000 on the clock only just for 950£ My top sped....well I try ones 140m/h and only 8.000rpm on the clock. ..wondering what is really top speed. ...amazing front brakes but if you driving slow don't press hard....you going down. .if you are lucky ..gently😆happens to me😇

·
Registered
1 Posts
There's a pretty big difference between the Katana and GSXR. The GSXR is significantly faster, lighter, handles better, and has better brakes. It is also much easier to get into trouble with. I'd pick something slightly less powerful to get back into riding with (say a Kat 750? :D ). Since you do have riding experience, that might not be so bad. I wouldn't recommend a Kat 750 to a new rider, but for someone who has ridden sportsbikes in the past, it should be fine.
My first bike is a 600r katana and I am a new rider and I love it .it's perfect I get on it and I don't want to get off .

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts