Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Katana 750/GSX 750F 1993 year model which has some carb related issues I think! The bike goes as it should on higher revs but it has trouble idling and doesn't go right on the lower ones, almost as it gets too much fuel. if I give full throttle it lags for a sec before accelerating. I have opened up the "bottom" of the carbs which seem fine and tomorrow I will be replacing the plugs which I don't believe are causing the fault though. Any thoughts? The carbs seem to be controlled by some vacuum mechanism and seems to be using membranes. Meybe one of those are in bad shape? Any help greatly appriciated and sorry for the english, am scandinavian :)

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
A good first step would be to dump some good brand name carb/ fuel injection cleaner into the gas tank. Run the bike long enough to get the treated gas into the carbs, then let it sit overnight. Go for a ride the next day and see if the bike is any better. If it is a little better, then you probably need to have the carbs taken apart and cleaned.
Other posible problems besides dirty carbs are the choke being out of adjustment, a vacuum leak at the carb, a leak between a carb and the intake, or the idle being set way too low.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same problem, im going to clean the bowls out this weekend and throw some new plugs in and hope it helps let me know if you figure anyhting out

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
let me know if you figure anyhting out
This thread is a bit over 2 years old.

In addition to cleaning out the bowls, you need to put some good cleaner in the gas too......like Berryman's B12 Chemtool or Gumout.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts