Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. It's been a while since I've been on. I have a 1975 suzuki t500. The problem is that the kick start seemes to be slipping, like the gears arn't meshing. Is there an adjustment for this or does it mean pulling the whole crankcase apart.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Sounds like either the clutch is slipping or the kickstart gear/pawl is stripped depending on how they have the mechanism set up. I am not familiar with your model but the usual method of providing a kick start is via the gearbox and uses a gear wheel with a one way pawl that allows the kickstart to work in one direction only. if it is the mechanism you will almost certainly have to have a look see....sorry.

I would try to bump start the bike to check for clutch slippage as this is greatly magnified through this method of engine starting.

You should only have to remove the outer cover to gain access to the kick starter mechanism if it turns out to be this.

Good Luck

Edit: Just got to thinking. When you say it seems to slip is it a smooth and even slip without any clicking or clunking noise..if so it is the clutch. If you feel it mesh and then it seems to jump out of mesh and the kickstart lever jerks down a bit or a lot then it is the mechanism.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. It starts to catch then jumps out. I removed the outer cover but could only get to the end of the shaft. Seems as if the mechanism is inside the crankcase. This is a 500cc 2 stroke so I don't know if it would be a different setup then a 4 stroke.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Oh! This does not sound promising.....sorry but as a two stroke relies on the crankcase for compression any dismantling will entail replacing the crank seals and the case gasket...if as you say the kickstart mechanism is inside.

I have never seen a machine with the kickstart gear inside but as it is a two stroke I can understand them not wanting any more seals than is necessary from the crank case, these being a weak point.

My advice would be to find a workshop manual for the bike before going any further... either online or at a specific forum. A junk shop may be a way to go as is a wreckers. Do not underestimate a wreckers yard as I have always found them to be very helpful. You may find someone who has pulled one of these motors apart or can tell you what is involved.

I guess you could always bump start for now!

Good luck and remember at least it is a two stroke.... no fiddly valves or valve train to re assemble!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts