Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever have a problem with antifreeze leaking after a ride? I went for a ride the other day put the bike away, no problem. Then I get home from work the next evening and I see a small puddle of antifreeze under the bike. I went for a ride about a week later and I could smell antifreeze but I didn't see anything dripping.

I checked the antifreeze level in the radiator and its fine, the bike is also not overheating or running hot.

Anyone else have this problem or give me a suggestion of where I might start to look for the problem, I haven't had time yet to really get in there and search for the leak.

Thanks, Dave

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
It's not unheard of for a clamp or fitting to become loose. You'll just have to do some investigating.

On cars, water pumps are designed to leak when they fail as an alert. Does anyone know whether this is true on motorcycles?

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
check the clamps first. Suzuki may have used those cheap clamps you put on with a pliers instead of the nicer kind that uses a screwdriver.

If you smell the coolant, then it's prolly leaking from the top radiator hose.

Also, depending on the number of miles driven, you may be reaching the life of the hose and may need replacement.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Have you traced the leak to it's origin? My guess is a loose clamp or a chafed hose. Water pumps seldom fail on bikes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the input on this already.

KD57,
No I haven't traced it back and I realize I posted this somewhat prematurely without having investigated yet. I was mainly wondering if this was a common problem with SVs but it doesn't sound like it. Hopefully its just a clamp as a few people have pointed out. It doesn't seem to be pouring out, just a small leak but I can smell antifreeze pretty strongly also.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks for all of the input on this already.

KD57,
No I haven't traced it back and I realize I posted this somewhat prematurely without having investigated yet. I was mainly wondering if this was a common problem with SVs but it doesn't sound like it. Hopefully its just a clamp as a few people have pointed out. It doesn't seem to be pouring out, just a small leak but I can smell antifreeze pretty strongly also.

Had the same problem with my 03. Nothing other than a loose hose clamp........

·
Registered
120 Posts
Same here. My '03 sv1000 did the same thing. tightened the hose clamp on the left side and no more leaks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm literally just experiencing this after a ride. I parked and did my errand, came back to the SV1000s no coolant puddles/drips. I started the bike & started backing up & my riding partner pointed it out, when I was physically using my sv it reduced its leakage (I'm guessing that has to be bc of pressure) it's on the left side almost under the fan...? It looks?

·
Super Moderator
12,794 Posts
Not sure I understand that.
Maybe you would want to try again.......and start your own new thread, instead of jumping onto the end of a discussion that is 11 years old.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts