Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I currently ride a vstar 1100 but I've always wanted to learn to do maintenance but was afraid of messing with my riding bike so I've decided to shop and buy a used bike that I can learn and practice maintenance on.

Any recommendations on the best bike to learn maintenance on? I will be looking at used bikes on craigslist. Trying to not go over $1500. thanks

- Josh

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i appreciate it but I believe you read my post wrong. I am looking to buy another bike to practice maintenance on. what type of bike is best?

·
Super Moderator
12,165 Posts
There is no reason that you can't do the ROUTINE maintenance on your present bike.

As for a "beater" to practice on, any small bike will do.
Only one I've ever owned that was a significant pain in the backside was a Suzuki S50.

Well......and ALL 2 cycle engines.

I think your budget is a bit TOO high. A used 250 less than 10 years old probably can be had for less than $1K.
Be sure it runs fairly good. One that does NOT run might be overwhelming for a newbie.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you're that uncomfortable with doing your own work then just invest the $1500 into a mechanics workshop or course. I'm sure you can find one locally. Or you can take the $1500 and start a maintenance fund that you can pay your shop bills with. I think either one of those ideas are less wasteful and better than buying a bike to "learn maintenance" on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts