Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody gone to an LED for turn signals, instrument lamps or the headlight? I have seen some pretty cool automotive applications, but I was curious to hear what others have done..

·
Super Moderator
12,291 Posts
There is little practical reason to do this as the usual replacements aren't much, if any, brighter than the originals.

Good bright LEDs are available but are very expensive; especially headlights.

If you change the turn signals you will need a replacement electronic flasher, probably, to keep the flash rate right.

I don't think I've ever heard of anybody tearing their instrument panel apart just to change out working lights.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My instrument panel lights are already out. I haven't checked the fuse yet, but was kind of thinking ahead.
Again, for things like instrument panel lights for old mustangs and cougars, there are great improvements available. But if nobody else has used them, I guess there is a reason!

·
Super Moderator
12,291 Posts
But if nobody else has used them, I guess there is a reason!
Bike instrument lights on recent models likely already are LED.
The ones that aren't, typically used special small bulbs that might even be soldered in.

Hope that you have a wiring or fuse problem because replacing all of the bulbs might be a bigger problem than you suspect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Led upgrades on a 96 vs1400 Intruder

I have replaced the following with LEDS;

Headlight
Speedometer lighting (blue leds)
Brake light/Tail light
all four turn signals.

Rear turn signals replaced with front, exchanged lenses with clear and put red leds in and ran a wire from the license plate light to have red running lights as well as red turn signals.

Making all four turn signals led required putting a diode (Chrome Glow Turn Cross Feed Diode Kit SKU: 13-308 $11.95 but you can find them cheaper) and an EP36 flasher (from advance auto or autozone).

All are definite improvement.

Any questions, feel free to contact me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts