Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m new to the group and also hoping to get some info on a sound I’m getting from my bike, I bought this beautiful Suzuki boulevard c50t in amazing condition about 3 weeks ago, 18k miles. Rode it around town, a small town, for about 2 weeks no issues, rode about 3 hours and when I got home starting hearing a tick sound at lower rpm, now I keep hearing they are noisy bikes, but I didn’t hear the noise when I got it, sounds kinda like a ticking from the engine more noticeable on the right side. Changed oil and filter no difference, I’m wondering if it needs a valve adjustment? It was very quiet when I bought it compared. Or if maybe I’m getting into a more serious problem. When I’m accelerating or decelerating I can’t really hear it, but when I’m staying a constant speed I can definitely hear it. Or when In the driveway parked and slowly revved can hear it. Should I be taking this to a shop? Or does anyone have ideas on what you may think could be the issue

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Or does anyone have ideas on what you may think could be the issue
How long have you been riding motorcycles ?
Sure, take it to a dealer and ask them to listen to the noise that you are hearing.
But don't spend a bunch of money on trying to fix something......because the odds are GREAT that there is nothing wrong. Some engine noises come and go. Your hearing and perception changes from time to time too.
This likely is perfectly normal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If it's an 06 with only 18,000 miles then it's sat a lot. Ticking is pretty common with the blvds and they should sound like a sewing machine especially if they are stock. Adjusting the valves would be a good idea because you don't know when they were done or if they were done last. It's not hard to do but you have to be really careful not to drop the tools down in the oil journals. I was using a small bit that fit perfectly and dropped the bit and it fell down. It took me a while but I finally fished it out. So, tape a string to the tools you use. My valves were not out at all after 16,000 miles. But those were mostly highway miles. I put 26,000 miles on it in the two years I owned it. But yeah, it's normal to hear a tick.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts