Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have a kinda stupid question. I bought a GS 500 yesterday and the guy who delivered it said he'd lock it for me. He pushed in the Key and locked the bike's steering.

But I don't know how to unlock the bike! I'm spent two hours fiddling with the key!

Any suggestions? My email is [email protected]

Brian

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I moved this question into it's own thread...I didn't think it should've been a reply to the used bike thread...

First of all, welcome to the forum!!!

Second, try pushing in on the key and turning it to the right. You might want to wiggle the handlebars a little too...

·
Registered
665 Posts
You can also use the very tip of your key and "spin" the key hole slot till it no longer lines up with the key hole. That way there is no way to put the key in. I read how to do that in my manual so I thought I would try it. Its a pain to get everything lined back up again. I don't think I'll do that again.

Hope that helps.

The way to lock the bars is all you do is move the key to the LOCK position and take the key out. If it won't unlock.... do what Suzukigirl said. Push giggle and wiggle. Why am I all the sudden thinking about JELLO?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
It's a pain in the a$$ to lock the fork on my bike. I have to put the key in and turn the handlebars back and forth until the key will actually turn to the lock position. You might have the same problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
am I right in assuming that you can't run the engine, even in neutral, if the bike is locked? Getting worried, still no luck. :-|

·
Registered
198 Posts
Try sitting on the bike inserting the key and before turning it push the key in as far as it will go the try turning it and moving the handle bars.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Have you tried WD40 or any other lube, then fit key and wiggle steering and key....?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Brian Swan said:
am I right in assuming that you can't run the engine, even in neutral, if the bike is locked? Getting worried, still no luck. :-|
If you can get the key to the start position and START the bike.......the handlebars AREN'T locked.... :neutral:

Is your problem not being able to turn the key when you put it into the ignition? I doubt anything's wrong with the bike......he gave you the RIGHT key right?

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
mr_resistible said:
do what Suzukigirl said. Push giggle and wiggle.

:?: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Okay are the handlebars turned all the way to the left??? To the point where they do not move??? If so your stem IS locked.

If you look at your key hole it's a 4 position switch. With the key in the lock pointing (like the face of a clock) between the 2 and 8 position your bike is in the locked postion. Turn it to the right 2 clicks so it's not at the 12 and 6 position (or all the way to the right) this should be the start postion. (see pic) If you can't turn the key try to flip the key around and try again.

Pic 1 - On Position

If for some reason you still can't turn the key from the lock position look down on the bottom the triple trees/head and you should see a lock pin that extends from the key lock down into a hole. This is your handlebar lock, it may be stuck which is why they want you to wiggle the key in the lock. Spray some WD-40 up in there and thru the key hole and see what happens.

Other then that you should be able to unlock and run the bike unless he did give you the wrong bike key.

:)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have that EXACT problem on my '03 Marauder... There are 2 separate keys, and I can lock the forks, but then the key won't come out of the lock... Kinda defeats the purpose if I can lock the forks, but leave the key in the lock... Is this a common problem with this model bike? I've read a couple different threads that address this problem... Is there a solution? I've tried everything that you guys suggested, to no avail... I guess the last resort is to go to the "stealership" and get the lock replaced...

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
brian i also had the same problem when i got my gs500f push the key down and give it a wiggle, and while pushing down turn it right.... it should come out make sure the bars are all the way to the left!!!!!

·
Happy-ass Lunatic
11,409 Posts
Don't spray WD-40 IN THE LOCK!! It's okay to spray it on the locking mechanism (NOT where the key goes in . . . spray it on the thing Nexus is talking about), but lock internals get really FUBAR from dust accumulation when oil gets in there.

Always use a graphite lubricant on lock internals.

Can you have someone experienced (like a neighbor or something) come over and take a look at it?

·
Still crazy after all these years
14,185 Posts
themeatmanlandry said:
Don't spray WD-40 IN THE LOCK!! It's okay to spray it on the locking mechanism (NOT where the key goes in . . . spray it on the thing Nexus is talking about), but lock internals get really FUBAR from dust accumulation when oil gets in there.
I thought that WD-40 was mostly Kerosine (jet fuel), which is used for dry cleaning of clothing (when it's not being burned in jet engines). WD-40 doesn't leave an oily film ... my experience is that it's more sticky, not slippery after the WD-40 dries.

·
Dastardly villain
1,700 Posts
inspiron said:
WD-40 doesn't leave an oily film ... my experience is that it's more sticky, not slippery after the WD-40 dries.
Will dirt not stick to something sticky??? lol :mrgreen:

·
Still crazy after all these years
14,185 Posts
I wasn't disagreeing with Mr Landry ... I was just asking about "dust accumulation when oil gets in there." Yes, kerosine is made from oil, but it evaporates pretty quickly...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts