Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll be out in Or in mid May on an extended ride.
I plan to ride with a friend from Eugene to Mary's Peak
and back down 101 where he will turn back home somewhere around
Florence.
I hope to continue down to Crater Lake for the night; then to the Redwood Forest; Tahoe, Rocky Mt Nat Park Col., Maybe Yellowstone Nat Park,
Bearthooth Pass, Wy; Deadwood, SD; Theodore Roosevelt nat Park
and then home.
Anyone wanna join me for a few miles anywhere along the way?

·
Cookie Monstress.
5,192 Posts
ooooh, sounds like fun! I am getting laid off so might be unemployed still in May.....my husband and I live west of Portland but might ride down that way when I am less constrained by work. There is at least a small chance that frank and I might be open to joining you for part of this.... I will PM you...

No matter what, I highly recommend highway 96 (Klamath River Highway) if you can possibly do it.... coming back from Crater Lake and heading for redwood country this is a pretty good way to get there.... if you can...?

Annie

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
No matter what, I highly recommend highway 96 (Klamath River Highway) if you can possibly do it.... coming back from Crater Lake and heading for redwood country this is a pretty good way to get there.... if you can...?

Annie
That's quite a road,takes some time but if you like twisties it has a plenty of 'em.:mrgreen:
If I remember right the only gas in Happy Camp is a card lock,make sure and fill where you can.:cool:
If you end up taking 199 down be sure and stop at Jed Smith park to take a walk through the Stout Grove.
http://www.shannontech.com/ParkVision/Redwood/Redwood9.html
If you are short on time stop and ride the short dirt/gravel Walker Rd. just off 199 a few miles before hitting 101 and Crescent City.
There are some amazing trees in there,no gate or campground or anything,just pull in there right off the highway.
It only goes a short ways in and stops at a nice swimming hole on the Smith River.:p
walker,rd crescent city,ca - Google Maps

·
Cookie Monstress.
5,192 Posts
ohhh yeah... 199 is pretty great too...at least the first many miles of it along the Smith river as you say coming in from Crescent City.... some stunning vistas and great riding too.

dunno about the cardlock gas on 96, but it IS a long mostly undeveloped road so that is a good caution. I recall being on fumes when I did gas up.....LOL... I cannot remember ever having such a long continous amazing ride on twisties. No cars...no stop signs...no development with 35 mph postings...LOL......
I really got in the zone and was sorry to see it end. The views the whole 150 miles or so are amazing too.... comparable to the Smith river...

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
ohhh yeah... 199 is pretty great too...at least the first many miles of it along the Smith river as you say coming in from Crescent City.... some stunning vistas and great riding too.

dunno about the cardlock gas on 96, but it IS a long mostly undeveloped road so that is a good caution. I recall being on fumes when I did gas up.....LOL... I cannot remember ever having such a long continous amazing ride on twisties. No cars...no stop signs...no development with 35 mph postings...LOL......
I really got in the zone and was sorry to see it end. The views the whole 150 miles or so are amazing too.... comparable to the Smith river...
Great road for sure,another good one down there is 3 from Yreka to Weaverville if you ever get the chance.8)
Yreka, CA to Weaverville, CA - Google Maps

·
Cookie Monstress.
5,192 Posts
LOL! done it ! terrific ride... and then we took 299 over to the coast...and that is a fine ride too...great restaruant on the river bend halfway or so... Red Barn or some such?
great great ride memories.. love that whole area.

Great road for sure,another good one down there is 3 from Yreka to Weaverville if you ever get the chance.8)
Yreka, CA to Weaverville, CA - Google Maps

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for the fantastic pictures and route suggestions.
I will look at those roads on the map this weekend and
start to put together some sort of plan. 96 might not be
hard to make without refueling. The Blackbird has a 6 1/2 gallon
tank. :bluethum:

While on my trip, I plan to post my planned route each couple
of days both here and on v4hondabbs.com so if I should go
missing :???: people will have an idea where to look.
Those pictures from the other thread were awsome!
Thanks for posting them.
I wasn't sure about taking in Rocky Mountain National Park
until I read thru Clint's trip review again.
I know now that I can't pass that by.
Man, I can't wait for this trip! And I sure hope some of you can ride with me along the way.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I wasn't sure about taking in Rocky Mountain National Park
until I read thru Clint's trip review again.
I know now that I can't pass that by.
Man, I can't wait for this trip! And I sure hope some of you can ride with me along the way.
Yeah,Trail Ridge Rd. is one of the "must do" roads in American much like the Beartooth highway.
I've done both several times and would consider them pretty much equally stunning.
What is your route plan for riding through Oregon getting to Eugene?
Maybe I can help with that part of the journey.
I'm an Oregon Native and have lived on both sides of the Cascades,still have family on both sides as well so I get down there often.
You'd be hard pressed to find a stretch of road in the state that I haven't ridden a bike on, be it East,West,North or South including most all the mountain passes over both the Cascades and the coast range or the many mountains in the East.
In fact I've ridden a great portion of the Western half of the USA but Oregon is my home turf and I've got over 35 years of experience riding all over the state.
After everywhere I've been over the years I still find the riding there to be some of the best to be found anywhere,bar none.
Here's a thread of pics from here in the PAC NW I did a while back,many are from Washington and many from Oregon.
Take a look and if you have any questions about what is what or where give me a shout,they are in random order unfortunately but all are from OR & WA.
http://www.motorcycle-journal.com/forum/members-photo-gallery/43146-pics-pac-nw.html

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I just bought this CBR1100XX and am flying out to pick it up.
Heh,oh.....well then what's the plan for the ride back and after Florence?
Are you doing 101 to the Redwoods before Crater Lake?
That's what I would do,wouldn't want to miss the South Oregon Coast.;)
How about after Crater Lake?
I'd probably do something like this if you have time for the 96 rd. discussed earlier.
Eugene, OR to Crater Lake National Park - Google Maps
Only a little I-5 freeway which is actually a stunning ride by Mt,Shasta.
This would be excellent,check out Dead Indian Memorial Rd.to Crater Lake from Ashland here.Dead Indian Memorial Road - Southern Oregon - Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

·
Registered
120 Posts
Whew! Found ya :fight2:

Reg'd up so I could see the replies to your post. Looking forward to the riding & looking forward to browsing the site to see what *else* is behind the first posts :lol4:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whew! Found ya :fight2:

Reg'd up so I could see the replies to your post. Looking forward to the riding & looking forward to browsing the site to see what *else* is behind the first posts :lol4:

Ha! Mike is the guy I know from Oregon that will store the
bike for me until I fly out to get it, and we'll ride to Mary's Peak
together when I get there.
Told him about M-J earlier tonight.
Welcome here, Mike! Great forum. I bet you'll like it.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Just realized you'll be here in May,the Crater Lake rim loop might not be accessible yet due to snow.
Often many of the roads are closed till June or July but then we have a lower than normal snowpac this year so anything is possible.

For current road and weather conditions updated at 8:00 AM daily, call (541) 594-3000.

Roads

Highway 62 and the road to Rim Village (Munson Valley Road) are plowed and open all year. However, snowy and icy road conditions can occur anytime, resulting in temporary road closures. Please review Current Conditions before your visit.

Plowing of the Rim Drives, North Entrance Road and the Pinnacles Road typically starts in mid to late April. West Rim Drive and North Entrance Road can open to vehicles as early as mid June. East Rim Drive and the Pinnacles Road do not normally open to vehicles until July.

These pics were taken on the 4th of July,East rim drive.

See the tour boat way down there?
It's about a 30 footer,gives some size perspective to the pics.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If your route comes through here I will meet up with you for a wile. Also you will have a bed if you need it.

Also Welcome OregonMike :welcomes:

Well Bill, you could reschedule your annual ride
out to Portland to late May
and take the entire ride with me...:whistle:

1 - 20 of 93 Posts