Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I believe this is my first post, but I've been reading a lot on here over the past few months. Seems to be a great community. Rode a scooter for 3 years (the gas was horrendously expensive at the time i bought it!) and finally back in June I decided to upgrade to something with guts, a 2009 M50 SE black with orange trim. Looking forward to doing more on here in the coming months. Most the snow that has fallen lately dries up within a day or two, but the temperature is still a little too cold for me here in Utah. I never thought I'd say this, but I hate snow now that I have a motorcycle. Got the cabin fever I need to be cured of.

Speaking of Utah, we just dodged a bullet (at least for this year) here with our state legislature. A bullet better known as "SB 106":

Bill to Ban the Use of Aftermarket Exhaust Systems Dead (for the year) | Editorials Blog & Discussion at 4WD & Sport Utility Magazine

Simple put, it was a bill introduced in the Utah legislature that would ban pretty much anything aside from stock exhaust from motorcycles and even automobiles. A noise pollution law if you will. It's good news that it did not pass, but the bad part is it'll most likely get brought up again in next years legislative session. Utah usually isn't so anal about things like this and it surprises me that something like this was even introduced, but you never know, the senator that introduced the bill probably got sick of his neighbor revving his modified bike early on sunday mornings. Amazing how one person can affect an entire state (or even a country for that matter).

This concerns me as I've been planning on ordering me a set of V&H Straightshots in the next few weeks, and I don't want to be dealing with a lame new law like this in a years time. I am pretty confident it won't pass next year, mainly because Utah usually doesn't pass things like this. But then again, you never know.

Anyway, I was just curious what everyone else's thoughts were about this sort of thing. If your state has a similar sound pollution law then I'm curious on the details of your states' law. It'll give me an idea of what we may have to battle again this time next year. I guess if anything, I can always move to a state that is less strict on the noise pollution regulation.

·
Registered
607 Posts
The AMA is big on preventing legislation like this.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
These types of bills have been around for a long time. Problem is we are raising a generation of wimps and people that think they should make decisions for everyone. I am afraid but know one of these years they will get passed.

·
Super Moderator
12,688 Posts
The AMA is big on preventing legislation like this.
Just for the record, tha AMA is also big on it's opposition to aftermarket pipes with no baffles.....that make the bike outrageously and illegally loud......WHICH is precisely what motivates people to ask for that kind of legislation in the first place.

The AMA supports the enforcement of non-discriminatory laws against excessive vehicle noise, from all kinds of vehicles. The only thing they are opposed to is singling out motorcycles for targeted enforcement.

As for the original poster.......if you do put on straight shots.....or any other pipe without a proper baffle, then YOU are part of the problem.

Loud pipes risk rights.
If there were no outrageously loud pipes, there would be no oppressive legislation.

P.S. If you really have been a long time reader, you should know that "loud pipes" discussions are always pretty much pointless and end up generating hard feelings between riders who otherwise can get along pretty good. So.......why are you playing "troll" on your fist post here ??

·
Registered
539 Posts
I still love LOUD PIPES!
No hard feelings...

·
Registered
551 Posts
I still love LOUD PIPES!
No hard feelings...
Agree'd :bluethum:
I have the V&H Straight Shots. I keep the "baffles" in but they are still wicked loud. Not much louder without them, smoother sound with them in.

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
because, simply having laws that could easily be enforced with a decibel meter would be way to easy and simple.

sleds used to have this problem - then state by state, restrictions on noise were put in place, and they are quiet as heck. Too quiet, if you ask me.

whatever happened to the old days and "disturbing the peace" tickets?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts