Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everyone. Have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find answers anywhere to. I have a 1993 cbr 900rr. I bought it off of a friend for cheap it ran when he jump started it but I got it to my place and didn't think about it and jump started it off my running truck. Then it just started making a whining noise after that when I tried to start it. No clue what the issue is. I replaced the starter, the starter relay solenoid, and put an r1 regulator rectifier on it. It has power but doesn't even sound like it's trying to crank over. Idk what else it could be. But I know it has to be an electrical issue. Anyone with any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
14,185 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Two points: First, it's generally not a good idea to jump start a bike from a car or truck - this can cause some nasty electrical problems. It's better to go buy a new battery and install it rather than jump starting the bike. If you must jump start it, jump it from another bike. If you MUST use a car or truck, make sure that the other vehicle is NOT running, since their generator is much too powerful for a bike.

Secondly, without understanding where the problem lies, I wouldn't spend the time/money/effort to start replacing parts randomly. First try to diagnose the system and find out where it's failing, then narrow it down to the faulty part. Replacing a starter, relay and regulator is a pretty expensive action, especially when those weren't bad to begin with.

If the bike isn't cranking, then check the battery and the connections. It could be that the battery terminals are corroded so there is enough power for lights and such, but not enough juice to turn the starter motor. Start with the battery (which is probably needing replacement - they usually only last about 5 - 7 years max), then work your way down the wires to the fuse box and on to the starter. It's worth it to invest a few hours doing "detective" work, rather than randomly replacing parts and not understanding which part is really causing the problem.

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
Ok thanks a lot. I do have power every where and checked all the wires. Do you think it is possible that I blew the stator by jumping it off the truck?
NO.

And no offense here but you don't have a good understanding of how the electrical system works.
You are probably going to have to get it to a shop to get it fixed.

The stator only comes into play while the bike is running to charge the battery; it essentially is the alternator.
So it has nothing to do with running the starter.

And it doesn't HAVE to be an electrical problem. It is even possible that the engine is locked up.

What about the battery ? After spending all that time and money, please tell us that you don't still have the same old battery in it.
Where are you getting the power now to try and start it ??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Engine does crank I checked that. Haven't had anymore time to mess with it still have same battery in it but plannin on replacing it of course. I want to have all new stuff on it anyways just so I know it's good.

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
Engine does crank I checked that.
Wait....what ?? I thought it just made a whining noise.

And randomly replacing parts is NOT a good idea because it is always possible that one of the new ones might be bad out of the box.

At this point, I'd guess that the whine is normal starter noise and you don't have enough power available to turn it over fast enough.
No problem jumping from a larger battery BUT if it's in a vehicle, that vehicle should NOT be running.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Before I jumped it, it sounded like it was actually gonna start but the battery would die real quick. Then after I jumped it it started making the whining noise. Actually as I was trying to jump it it started making the noise. Now I can put the key in it every time and hold the start button down and it doesn't do anything but make the noise doesn't loose power like the battery is dying. That's what's so confusing.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Your starter motor maybe spinning, the whining sound is what you are hearing perhaps. The starter clutch, if fitted, maybe jammed or failed. generally they are what is called a sprag clutch and are a simple one directional device The small pawls that move out when it is rotated in the correct direction may be broken off or jammed inside. Of course this is just a guess. It may just be a battery unable to fully engage the starter motor as suggested.

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
Now I can put the key in it every time and hold the start button down and it doesn't do anything but make the noise doesn't loose power like the battery is dying. That's what's so confusing.
Listen this "noise" is causing us some problem with trying to help you.
Is the engine turning over or not ?
If not.....or you don't know how to tell.......you need the services of a shop.

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
Ok so basically I just need to do a new battery then and see where that gets me.
No I didn't say that.
If it does start with a jump but not without, the battery is strongly suspect......or the main cable connections.
The battery can be recharged and tested.
If you are going to continue with this yourself, you need a small battery charger (even for a new battery) and a multi-meter.

·
Premium Member
14,185 Posts
The battery can be recharged and tested.
If you are going to continue with this yourself, you need a small battery charger (even for a new battery) and a multi-meter.
A battery that is more than about 7 years old is probably shot - it won't hold a charge. If he's dealing with an old battery, replacing it wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright so I threw the new battery in and nothin changed. But I did figure out my problem. First I pulled the starter out to see if it was spinning which it was. So I put it back in and tried starting it, no more "whining" noise just heard the starter spinning. So I decided to take the stater cover off only to notice that the spindle that the start spins to crank the big spindle that cranks the engine wasn't even in place, fixed that and the damn thing started right up. Little backfire haha but it runs now. So thanks guys for the feedback and help. Much appreciated. Now if anyone can tell me about the subframe conversions to an r1 or a gsx-r subframe, more or less just which one I need, and if I can mount up fairings from a 99 900rr on the front of my bike. Was gonna do streetfighter style but I can't figure out what to do with all the wiring or how to hide it.

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
no more "whining" noise just heard the starter spinning.
And after all of that, NOW you know the difference between the normal starting noises and the noise when the starter runs but doesn't engage the engine. :bluethum:

As for all of that other stuff........figuring all of that out is half the fun of doing a conversion project like that.
Why exactly are you considering changing the frame ??

I personally don't think it is "fun", so I buy bikes to actually ride them as is. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.