Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying 2002 Suzuki Volusia Intruder
I just went and looked at it. I got him down to $2000. However, I need a second opinion. Here are the details of the bike:

\-Been sitting for 2-3 years in garage. He has gone out and cycled and ridden 50 miles in that time

\-Bike has 24,000 miles. Current owner is 2nd owner

\-Selling because he became disabled.

\-Bike looks clean. No rust in tank, brakes feel good

\-Fluids were flushed at 3 years ago, nothing has been changed since. Due to disability, owner is unable to

\-During my inspection, bike fired right up on choke, however would die after 30 seconds once choke was taken off. (I don't know if that's normal for these bikes) However, it does seem like the carb may need some cleaning/adjustment

\-Idle sounds kind of inconsistent roll of off choke.

What do you guys think? Would I be walking into a problem, or would it be alright with a system flush or carb clean from the shop? I'm hesitant about it sitting for so long and it not idling as well as it could.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Couldnt get to the ad. I would check out the going price for similar machines....dont expect you will find them with similar mileage so make allowances. I suspect the carbs will need attention which may be as simple as running some good cleaner through or worst case need a major overhaul. Easy enough to do if you are experienced....expensive if not.

All rubber parts should be suspect and three years since fluids were flushed is a bit too long IMO. If you are experienced in buying/inspecting motorcycles then you should be good....but be aware a nice looking machine can hide lots of problems.

Finaly I would never buy a bike without a test ride. Sadly many sellers are reluctant to allow this for obvious reasons so dont be too surprised if he says no.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
13,232 Posts
WAY over priced for a 20 year old bike.

Yes, they are cold blooded.
Can't completely open the choke until the engine is fully warm.
And a dose of carb cleaner would be in order anyway.

Get a better model name/number and look at "used car" pricing sites.
Some of them do bikes too.
NADA says "low retail" is about $1300.

My guess is that something around that would be fair.
But that is if it has new tires; ones less than 5 years old.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts