Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,598 Posts
If the tires, engine, brakes and battery are good, it should be worth a $1,400 gamble.
But it IS a 15 year old vehicle and with fairly high mileage for a bike.

Seems like I remember that you are "smurf size" like me; will that seat height be too much for you ??

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just looking into the seat height as I'm 5'8". I don't recall what it was on my GS, but thinking it was like 31" or so. I had to stand on my toes and could not flat-foot. The weight is just a bit more than the GS so the high center of gravity shouldn't be an issue.

Not ready to make a purchase just yet. Whether I would be happier on a cruiser or on a touring bike, I am not sure yet. Sat on a nice Shadow 750 the other day. I like the seating position and it was comfortable... Oh so many decisions to make...

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Any machine that allows you to put your feet flat on the floor is probably a good idea. Most cruisers will fit this bill but the price you pay is cornering clearance. You could always buy a brand new Hayabusa...the red is very tasty... and leave it here in Au for me to look after for you....you could ride it any time you like...any and all speeding fines are yours! :mrgreen:

Seriously though take your time look at all bikes and keep that hand in your pocket until you are sure. :p

Ps that Kwaka looks a bit pricey for such an old machine...even if its in good condition and owned from new by a little old lady who only rode it to the shops.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Nice of you to always be willing to sacrifice Steve. I'd advise to keep looking and be willing to take a bus to another state. If you widen the search and remain patient something will turn up.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Dollar for dollar a used Gold Wing is about the best you can do in that price range, lot's of them out there so you can find an older one with low miles if you take your time.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dealership ended up selling that one for somewhere around $900. I'm still searching. The right one will come along.

Honestly, I'm still torn between getting a cruiser like the Vulcan 900 or something for more long-distance riding since I really would like to ride out to Arizona and see my folks sometime this summer. Of course, part of me is thinking that I'd like to get on any bike right now. Even a Ninja 250 would be great and allow me to ride back and forth to work and around town.

Just can't make up my mind... What's the saying in Scripture? "A double-minded man is unstable in all of his ways." I guess I'd better decide soon. LOL!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
You can set up a cruiser to ride anywhere. My last two bikes were a 1500 Kawasaki classic and now a Harley FXDB. Both have been on multiple long rides comfortably. The bike you get should fit your riding style and goals. If, like me, you want to putt down the road through the next state and enjoy a good mountain road softly then a cruiser is your bike but if you want to ride more aggressively then a sport touring bike would be the thing. Whatever you do make sure you ride it before buying.

·
Super Moderator
12,598 Posts
Honestly, I'm still torn between getting a cruiser like the Vulcan 900 or something for more long-distance riding
You don't NEED anything bigger than something like a Vulcan 900 for long distance riding......if you are one-up.
Absolutely, positively don't need to.
The seat is more important than the model of bike.

·
Registered
165 Posts
While picking out my current bike, a friend recommended that I look into cycle-ergo.com. You plug in the bike you are interested in, your height and inseam, and it gives you things like ride angle, seat height, etc. I found it informative in being to compare me on different bikes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts