Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings,

Name is Ric and I'm a new rider, 6,000 miles on a Kaw 454 LTD. I live in Shelton and I'm looking for a couple of people to ride with. I'm also new to group rides as I've only been on one, not the best experience. I guys I rode with were mostly in a hurry to get from A to B and I had to play catch up. It wasn't a terrible experience, however it would have been nice not to play catch up.

An ideal group, although not set on, would be 3 or 4 riders who are not in a hurry but out to enjoy a nice day and the country side.

From Shelton, I've riden up WA 3 to Belfair as well as 101 to 16 to 3 numerous times.

Longer rides include:

The Olympic Peninsula - Last Fall
Ride to Northern California - A couple of weeks ago.

Thank you for reading this post,

Ric

·
Registered
677 Posts
Wish I wasn't a thousand miles away, I'd ride with you. Beautiful country up there. Do you guys have hills?? And curves??

You're lucky to find either of those in Oklahoma. Really have to know where to go...

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Do you guys have hills?? And curves??
Do we?......like you wouldn't believe!
There's places where you can ride from sea level to over 8000ft elevation in a couple hours here in the PAC NW.

Here's a couple little videos I shot while following a young guy on and old Yamaha RD400 two stroke sportbike, roads are here locally near my place.

This one has some good twistys.
You can hear the old footboars scrape once in a while lol.

Hills you say?

·
Registered
6,864 Posts
I'm on a ride tommorrow but you have to be in Launceston Au by 11:00 am which I doubt you'll make.

·
Registered
677 Posts
You are so lucky to have roads like that. Looks like you got some skills too. However, I know those Electra glides and road glides handle very well considering the..hmm...girth. Really funny when you see it too.

My buddy has a '11 road glide ultra. We followed a guy on a zx-6 through some decent twisties, never lost him. Shoulda seen his face...classic!

Hope I can make it up there one of these years. Rather see the redwoods and ride up the coast than follow the crowd on the dragon. Live it up dude, I'm jealous.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Greetings,

Name is Ric and I'm a new rider, 6,000 miles on a Kaw 454 LTD. I live in Shelton and I'm looking for a couple of people to ride with. I'm also new to group rides as I've only been on one, not the best experience. I guys I rode with were mostly in a hurry to get from A to B and I had to play catch up. It wasn't a terrible experience, however it would have been nice not to play catch up.

An ideal group, although not set on, would be 3 or 4 riders who are not in a hurry but out to enjoy a nice day and the country side.

From Shelton, I've riden up WA 3 to Belfair as well as 101 to 16 to 3 numerous times.

Longer rides include:

The Olympic Peninsula - Last Fall
Ride to Northern California - A couple of weeks ago.

Thank you for reading this post,

Ric
Welcome to the forum! I'm over here in Tacoma. If I ever get over to that side of the puget sound and do the hurricane ridge run, I'll shoot you a pm. I keep putting it off....

sent via middle finger express

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum! I'm over here in Tacoma. If I ever get over to that side of the puget sound and do the hurricane ridge run, I'll shoot you a pm. I keep putting it off....

Thank you, I'll forward to it.

Ric

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Hope I can make it up there one of these years. Rather see the redwoods and ride up the coast than follow the crowd on the dragon. Live it up dude, I'm jealous.
Oh yeah now yer talk'n,I've lost track of how many times I've done the redwoods and I ride the PCH quite often.
I can make the North end of the Redwoods from here in about 6 hrs if I slab it but I usually take at least a couple days and ride the PCH down.
Me with my '84 Superglide and my buddy Rob with his '80 Shovelhead FHT on the coast and in the redwoods some 20 years ago.(damn I'm get'n old)

Me with the wife on my old '89 Ultra and Rob on his old '97 Kenny Boyce FXR.

My 2000 Classic in the redwoods.

I think the Oregon coast is the most scenic part of the PCH.

Here's one of my local roads that makes the dragon look easy lol.
This is 60 miles long.

Here's a few pics from the road above.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Also, you could check out pnwriders.com

I'm on there too, and there's usually a few rides going on on that side of the state.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Also, you could check out pnwriders.com

I'm on there too, and there's usually a few rides going on on that side of the state.

I posted the very same post on pnwriders. The last time I looked, less than 30 minutes ago, 101 people viewed it with no replies. I don't know if it was something I wrote or that no one is interested.

Ric

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I looked it up on a map. I 5 south to 12 to 25 then 14 to I 5 north. Looks like a great ride. It would be nice to have someone to enjoy it with.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Thanks for all the pics and vids Y2K. I'm still young and hope to have many more years of memorable rides. You all in the PNW really do have some great places to ride. For now I have to settle for the occasional trip to Arkansas or Missouri.

Hope you find somebody to ride with Ric. All those guys on that other forum are prolly married like me and have to ask the wife for permission!! Haha. Don't worry bout it too much, just start a conversation with a fellow rider if you meet them somewhere. Most of us would love to have some company and share some cool stories. Good luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the pics and vids Y2K. I'm still young and hope to have many more years of memorable rides. You all in the PNW really do have some great places to ride. For now I have to settle for the occasional trip to Arkansas or Missouri. Hope you find somebody to ride with Ric. All those guys on that other forum are prolly married like me and have to ask the wife for permission!! Haha. Don't worry bout it too much, just start a conversation with a fellow rider if you meet them somewhere. Most of us would love to have some company and share some cool stories. Good luck!
Thanks for the encouragement. I find myself talking to guys & gals when I see them by their bikes.Ric

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I looked it up on a map. I 5 south to 12 to 25 then 14 to I 5 north. Looks like a great ride. It would be nice to have someone to enjoy it with.
That is a great ride, if time gets tight you can also take 503 through Cougar and hit I-5 at exit 21 in Woodland.
It's lots shorter than going all the way down to 14 and is also a nice ride following the Lewis River system all the way to the 5 which includes Swift Res.,Yale Lake and Lake Merwin all part of the Lewis River system.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Thanks for all the pics and vids Y2K. I'm still young and hope to have many more years of memorable rides.
As long as you're careful out there I'm sure you will.
I once rode from Sioux Falls,SD down the 29 to KC and then on to Joplin, MO and into Oklahoma on the way to Galveston Texas.
We went down through the Lake Tenkiller area and spent the night at a place called Honey Creek State Park in Grove,OK.
Man was it hot!...August heatwave!
We tent camped a lot back then but we got a room in Paris, TX the next night to enjoy some air-conditioning lol.
All in all riding from here in WA to the Sturgis rally in SD and back home we did 8000 miles in 14 days on a big loop to the TX gulf coast and back through AZ & CA to get to the West coast again.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yeah I know what you mean. Last summer was brutal here. You were happy if it was below 100. I went on a 200 mile poker run when it was 112. Started in Kansas and ended here in Oklahoma, I did alright with my liquid cooled m50. Besides the one Big Dog chopper, I was the only guy that wasn't on a Harley. But, I felt sorry for all the air cooled 103 Harleys. Those guys roasted all day. Couple even had problems with oil pressure and temp gauges, I think due to it being so hot the oil just broke down a little.

Long story short...I felt your pain! By the way I've been around every lake in eastern Oklahoma. That's the only place you can find a decent road around here. Highway 10 along the Illinois river is pretty nice though. Went to college down there in Tahlequah and you learn to love the river...it's the only place to go have some "college" fun. Lol

·
Registered
677 Posts
Just wondering if Ric has found anyone to ride with?

Found myself daydreaming about a new Harley, and possibly making it up to the PNW next year...particularly around Northern California and into Vegas on the way back. Maybe head up to see this "local dragon" Y2K mentioned. Looks like it would be a blast, just don't want to scare the crap out of the wife! Maybe she could go shopping while I scrape some floor boards.?

Wife and I would love to get away like that. Just take a couple weeks off, slab it over to the Rockies, enjoy the mountains, then slab it over to Cali. I THINK we could do it in 2 weeks, if we hurry in a FEW places. Don't wanna rush through it, but that's a long trip if ya don't.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Just wondering if Ric has found anyone to ride with?

Found myself daydreaming about a new Harley, and possibly making it up to the PNW next year...particularly around Northern California and into Vegas on the way back. Maybe head up to see this "local dragon" Y2K mentioned. Looks like it would be a blast, just don't want to scare the crap out of the wife! Maybe she could go shopping while I scrape some floor boards.

Wife and I would love to get away like that. Just take a couple weeks off, slab it over to the Rockies, enjoy the mountains, then slab it over to Cali. I THINK we could do it in 2 weeks, if we hurry in a FEW places. Don't wanna rush through it, but that's a long trip if ya don't.
Two weeks, piece of cake, the wife and I rode through Okiehomer on a 2 week Sturgis trip and we avoided the slab as much as possible.
We rode long hours but we were all over the place,8000 miles in all and if I remember right 14 states we hit all together.
When the time comes I can give you some tips and pointers as well as help with routing.
I've done 6 Sturgis trips with different routes there and back each time so I know all the best routes, I of course also know the whole West coast very well with many trips to the NorCal redwood forest so I know a few off the beaten path spots a lot of folks usually miss.;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts