Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's not the first time that after i have not used the bike for a couple of days that I notice the 4th or 5th day a couple of drops of coolant somewhere between - and at the 'feet' of the cilinders. It's at the left side as the bike hangs over that way at the side stand then and it leaves a little track of green drops.
So it's loosing somewhere in the room between the 1st and 2nd cil. Haven't yet localised the precise spot. But what I cannot understand in the 1st place:
Why does it loose it just only 4 or 5 days after a ride. And not during a ride what i.m.o would be more likely?
Anyone has same experience?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have never seen any drops of coolant anywhere. When I was riding in a very heavy downpour once and was waiting in traffic for a long period of time, the bike was steaming a lot and I could smell coolant. I kept smelling it and it kept steaming a lot until I got rolling again. I have not experienced that again, but it did worry me a bit. I never found what the cause was. My coolant level did not seem to be low the next day. It was definitely a mystery.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
It only does it after 4 or 5 days? I've never had any coolant on mine. My guess would be check all the hoses and hose clamps for the cooling system, maybe one of the clamps worked it's way a little loose.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've done 600 mile maintenance on my own and several other M50/C50s and found virtually ALL of the coolant hose clamps could be tightened a turn or so. At subsequent checks all was well.

I suspect a loose clamp or two. It'a PITA to check some of them -- some can be reached with a small socket wrench, some with a screwdriver, and a few only with a small "ignition" style box end wrench. Still, it's worth the time and effort to check them all -- about 12 if I remember correctly. Some have 6mm heads, some 7mm, which has always seemed strange to me -- why not all the same?

Ray Nielsen, in Minneapolis and getting ready to shovel - AGAIN!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Man I HATE it when they decide to use all different sizes in applications like that! LOL, that really gets me going when I am wrenching. I understand the reason on some fasteners that need more/less torque on them, but not on things like hose clamps.

Well, on the bright side, it is a good excuse to get a bunch of different size tools! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts