Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 253 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately there have been some threads about drilling holes in exhaust pipes (and other ways of making bikes louder.) For the most part, drilling holes in an exhaust only makes a bike louder – it doesn’t make a bike faster or perform any better. And loud bikes are one of the chief reasons many towns and cities place restrictions on motorcycles. I like riding too much and get upset when my bike and I are not welcome in a town or city - all because of some jerk with a loud bike.

I have been riding for over 40 years….owned just about every type of bike you can think of... been across the country several times. I can also remember a time when the local police across the country automatically thought I was a criminal simply because I arrived on a bike.

It seems to me that guys with loud pipes are simply compensating for a short something or other. They should just get over their feelings of inadequacy because it just makes it more difficult for the rest of us.

· Registered
853 Posts
I'll stick with the ones on my M50, think they look great and sound great! I had a harley with straight pipes pull up next to me and about blow my ear drums out! I don't see how anyone thinks that sounds good! Loud pipes due nothing to enhance safety of bikes either.

· Registered
29 Posts
Fishpart said:
Loud pipes due nothing to enhance safety of bikes either.
I beg to differ on this point. On many occasions I've been able to notify a car that I am next to them by blipping my throttle. When you're in a car with all the windows rolled up, on the cell phone or with the radio blasting, there's little chance you'll notice the sound of a stock pipe. I would have been run into a few times if not for my loud pipes.

· Registered
646 Posts
I don't think loud pipes are any more annoying than the shrill whine of a sport bike. BTW, both our bikes (cruisers) have stock pipes.

· Registered
663 Posts
[/QUOTE] It seems to me that guys with loud pipes are simply compensating for a short something or other. They should just get over their feelings of inadequacy because it just makes it more difficult for the rest of us.[/QUOTE]

And everyone who rides a sport bike is a reckless teenager. That is only interrested in poping weelies and breaking the speed limit.

I also think it is safer to be heard as well as seen. If they made a device to make bikes so you can SMELL them too. People would buy it!! sniff sniff....

· Registered
684 Posts
I've never "gotten" the loud pipe thing. My bike is stock, and I still wear ear plugs when I ride. I don't buy the "loud pipe save lives" nonsense either. If you want a way to let somebody know of your presence, buy a louder horn. It's way cheaper than loud pipes, and has the added advantage that it's not against the law.

· Dogs Best Friend(admin)
9,731 Posts
Come on, guys. Loud pipes do not save lives. They annoy people and make them nervous and could cause an accident. They give bikers a bad name. The only direction they send the noise is behind you and since when do you need to alert those people behind you. It may even cost you some $$$ in NH. http://www.cruisernet.com/index.cfm?page=blog&id=38

· Registered
663 Posts
I think straight pipes ARE too loud. There is loud, then there is obnoxiously loud.

Like the difference between a Hot Rod on cruise night and a top fuel dragster.

But I still think the Smell Idea is a good one. I'm going to invent a box that makes my bike smell like money.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a friend who would often say “everyday deserves at least one good rationalization.” The fans of loud pipes argue that it makes them safer – it reduces the chances of accidents.

Well that’s not true….. not even close to being true. When you look at the causes of motorcycle accidents, a louder bike would not have changed the outcome of a single one of these incidents.

Guys --- get over it – you have loud bikes because you feel inadequate. Maybe your mother didn’t hold you enough when you were a kid.

· Registered
1,759 Posts
personally I like louder pipes then stock. I agree that some are just to loud but rarely come across them. I as well have used my pipes to alert someone of my presence. I also have a louder horn as stock horns are worthless. Overall though I don't see any issue with having louder pipes. When I go home at night I drive through the neighborhood in a higher gear so they are not as loud. I love the sound they make which is much better then stock. I believe it is all a matter of personal preference. I also don't believe that loud pipes has given us a bad name. It is everything the reckless bikers, stereotypes, some movies, etc.

· Registered
646 Posts
I believe there is a difference in a loud bike and one that has a nice rumble. I don't care for a loud bike which is generally one with straight pipes and no baffles. However, I do like the sound of a bike with a nice rumble.

Glen, if you've been riding for 40 years, surely you have to remember back in the ole timey days when the thing to do to your car was install glass packs. They gave it a nice rumble. Then there were the guys who just left everything off from the exhaust manifold on. Some things never change.

· May 2007 Member of the month
8,020 Posts
I like the louder pipes,, I will buy some,, but NOT OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD pipes. I like the rumble of a big V-Twin not the rattle of one. Preferably I will find one that makes a deeper sound with some performance gains (I.E.-- full exhaust setup),, but no drag pipes and no teeth shakers.

It really is no different than a new Mustang, Camaro, Truck, old Hot Rod, Muscle Car, etc putting dual exhaust on them and a set of flowmasters. People do it for the sound it makes, the performance gains, and the grin it puts on their face.

It's all a preferance thing,, what ever makes you happy. Just as if you put new wheels on your car, better stereo, nice paint job, chrome, or anything in your life that gives you that warm fuzzy feeling.

I personally do not like the teeth rattlers,, but I do not curse them either. I just put my fingers in my ears if it hurts.

· Registered
663 Posts
I never realized I was so inadiquate till now. I need a hug.

Nobody ever said that if you have loud pipes you can take corners at 100mph. But I'm sure there is a case somehere of a guy on a bike getting hit in a parking lot or stopped at an intersection, or just riding down the road and a car decided to change lanes. It may not be as big of a factor as inexperiance. But I'm sure they saved at least one life. Or else they wouldnt make those LPSL bumper stickers.

I was listening to the radio the other day and there was a story of some prizon inmates who took a prison guard hostage. His release was negotiated for 15 large Pizzas. So I think its safe to say "Large Pizzas Save Lives"

· Registered
646 Posts
Glendowery said:
Oldgeezer (I apologize for calling you that)

I agree with you -- there is a big difference between a nice rumble and noise. Now, if only my kids would understand that difference.
Those kids these day and that head bangin' music they listen too. What ever happened to Jethro Tull, Grand Funk and Deep Purple?

I'm signing out. Have a great weekend, mate!

· Registered
48 Posts
When I drive a car I try to pay attention to what's going on around me. A bike that has reasonably loud pipes will give me warning. A bike that has extremely loud pipes will annoy me.
As far as inadequecies, whinning and crying about laws and calling other people names doesn't seem that well adjusted to me.

· Registered
915 Posts
Jake Breaks on trucks are really bad. I some how think that if I was riding along and heard a truck put on the Jake Brake it would make me look to see where it was. They are really loud so we should all get togeather and stop all the trucks on the road.

Funny cars and NASCAR would be a really good time if they were much more quite, OOOOO I almost forgot about monster trucks, they really need to have less noise.

Stock pipes on sport bikes should be less noisy, Speed boats are really bad as well, two 502 Chevy’s with open headers running wide open are a real ***** at 5pm on a Saturday afternoon at the beach.

I think I will not go to the 1/4 mile races anymore because of all of the noise. I wish they would relocate the highway by my house because the trucks and cars are bugging me. My lawn mower is really to load as well; I think I will not mow it this year.

LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES. It is all a matter of choice, get over it. If you don't like the sound, stick your head back up your ***!

· Registered
751 Posts
we have noise restrictions in the UK but nobody really cares about them and even the police dont understand the laws. for me its a race can all the way, love listening to the sound of my can, better than listening to any music!!

1 - 20 of 253 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.