Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2002 sv650, yesterday i took a short ride ten miles. i took it out last week for about the same miles. this was the first ride since october. i have a battery monitor idiot light on the front when i was shutting it off i noticed it was red so i tried to start the bike it turned over slow and started. last night i put the tender on 24 hours later i checked the voltage with the bike off and it red 14 volts. i started the bike and warmed it up the voltage running was about 12.9 if i reved up to 3000 rpms stayed the same 12.8.it wont rev higher. i checked the three white wires from the stator and i get 70+ from all three. i did not do a continuity check to ground.i'm thinking the battery should be load checked.

·
Super Moderator
13,035 Posts
that 14 volt reading was coming from the tender and not the battery.
Did the tender indicate that it was fully charged ?
Very likely that your battery is worn out.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i took the battery to auto zone and the fella said it's perfect. my tender doesn't have a display or charged light. it was on for 24 hours. when i disconnected the tender i checked across the terminals and got 14 volts.
i started the bike and it dropped to 12.9. and when i rev the bike it doesn't go above 12.9. i suppose a fully charged battery will only go up to 12.9 when the bike is revved with no load. everything i've read about checking the charging system says when its revved to 3,000 rpms it should be charging above 14 volts.
i may have had a loose positive battery terminal, i have a monitor on so i'm just going to keep an eye on it.

·
Super Moderator
13,035 Posts
i took the battery to auto zone and the fella said it's perfect.
my tender doesn't have a display or charged light. it was on for 24 hours. when i disconnected the tender i checked across the terminals and got 14 volts.
Most places don't really know how to test a battery......sometimes even battery stores.
If your charger doesn't have any lights on it, it probably really is a dumb trickle charger and should NOT be left connected all the time.
The trick is to charge it up and then let it sit unused for 24 hours or so to see how much the voltage goes down without being used. If it drops below 12.6, it is BAD.

Your "charging" voltage of 12.9 is a bit low. That would be OK at idle but should go up to around 13.2 to "float" a fully charged battery when rev'ed. Modern regulators have a pretty flat output. Unless your idle speed is set too low, it is not unusual to see only a small increase when the engine is rev'd.

What did the connectors on your stator outputs look like ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts