Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '03 VS800 and, needless to mention here, I love it. However, it has an issue that has been discussed here before that puzzles me.

When going into/out of the first 3 gears, there is a noticeable grind, as if the clutch were not fully out (it is, though). This is not as pronouced when starting out on a ride, but within a few minutes, it comes in.

I've heard talk here about lubing the gear selector handle, but I don't understand how. I've looked at my shop manual, and it's no help.

Where the shaft goes into the engine, there is a tight seal that I can't get any lubrication past. Short of opening up the engine cover, how exactly can I get to the inner part of the shaft to lube it?

----Mfidget

· Registered
252 Posts
I have an '04 VS 800. I wish I could help you, but I can't. You may try to get DrBob's attention on this board.

My only transmission issue has been trying to get into first gear. Sometimes is does it with a loud "clunk". Not exactly what I want to hear. It's getting better - maybe it just needs to be broken in. I still have less than 500 miles.

· Registered
5,192 Posts
There is no provision for lubing the gear shift selector. Could you give some more info on the problem? How long has this been going on? Has the bike been down? How many miles are on it? Have you ever changed your clutch fluid, as it sounds like your clutch could be dragging...inquiring minds want to know!

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, Dr. Bob,

It has done it since I got it. It has 8400 miles on it, and I bought it at 1300 miles. It isn't getting worse -- still the same as always.

When I shift up into 2nd or 3rd gears (and sometimes 4th), there's a very slight grind, as if I don't have the clutch fully out. No problems then fully engaging the clutch after shifting, no pull or jerk, everything proceeds normally at the new gear.

And, by grinding, I mean it makes a slight pop or two, not a bad "if you can't find 'em, grind 'em" noise. Feels kind of like the clunk I normally get going into 1st from Neutral at a stop sign.

I'm wondering if maybe I'm just "pussy footing" the shift too much, toeing up too softly? It seems to be less pronounced when I slam the shift up, but it is still there. Also, it seems less when I do a modified "double clutch", throwing out the clutch, reving the engine a little, then popping the gear up.

The drag is, I don't know whether this is normal and I'm too sensitive, or if there's a genuine problem.

Sorry for the lack of precise explanation. Is there anything that would help describe it?

----Mfidget

· Registered
1,668 Posts
Texas Jay said:
I have an '04 VS 800. I wish I could help you, but I can't. You may try to get DrBob's attention on this board.

My only transmission issue has been trying to get into first gear. Sometimes is does it with a loud "clunk". Not exactly what I want to hear. It's getting better - maybe it just needs to be broken in. I still have less than 500 miles.
I don't think the sound you're talking about is a problem at all. I've had three bikes before this one and they all made a noticeable "clunk" sound when shifting into first sometimes. The one thing I have noticed on my '03 Marauder 800 is that it often does not want to shift into first from neutral. I can usually overcome this by letting the clutch out a little then then shifting down. That will allow it to slip into first. It's quicker and easier than rocking it back and forth until the gearbox gets lined up.

· Registered
915 Posts
If you find it hard to shift into first and it is giving you a hard time make sure that you are not binding the gears. = pushing back with your feet. You can also adust the linkage.

· Registered
5,208 Posts
Hunter said:
If you find it hard to shift into first and it is giving you a hard time make sure that you are not binding the gears. = pushing back with your feet. You can also adust the linkage.

yup i have this habit when sitting for a while at a light, rolling back a little just to stretch my legs out. have to roll it back forward and then it easily goes into first.

· Registered
915 Posts
Three major SNOW storms in less than one week. Went from no snow to having snow banks that are almost over my head. And man is it cold -38 C with the wind chill.. My bike is very quiet and cold. Looking forward to this spring and the summer that will follow. This will be my first full season with the bike. I bought my bike in the fall and only have 600km on it. I want the snow to go away really bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.