Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Oh, and from a different forum, here's the flipside to nicocorea's experience:

Traffic fatality: A fatal motorcycle accident Sunday afternoon shut down Honea-Egypt Road north of FM 1488.
The Woodlands resident David Powell, 51, was riding his newly purchased motorcycle with his son when he lost control of the bike and slid into oncoming traffic, said Department of Public Safety Trooper Mike Martin.
A Ford Taurus driven by Tomball resident Daryl Beavers, 41, struck Powell and his motorcycle as it slid into the oncoming lane of traffic.
Martin said that Powell was traveling at a safe speed and that alcohol was not involved.
The accident and investigation led to a three-hour closure of Honea-Egypt Road

ABC13 Eyewitness News
(03/15/05 - HOUSTON) — A Montgomery County man is dead after crashing his brand-new motorcycle on the way home.
Police say the man was returning from the bike shop around 10:30 Monday night, when he lost control on a curve on FM 2090 near Daw Collins and slid into the path of an oncoming car. The driver was thrown into a ditch and died instantly. The other driver was not injured.

His brother had taken him to the bike shop and was following behind in a car when the wreck happened.

Police say it’s the second-time in two days Montgomery County motorcycle riders have been killed while driving their new cycles home.

·
Registered
45 Posts
M50 was my first bike, just last october. Like others have mentioned, the decision should be based on many variables, riding preference, athletic aptitude, and maturity are just a few. Also, it is your first, not your last.

In my case, for cost, I did not want new, but close. If I dropped it, less painful, which I did, twice. Both times, newbie mistakes, both times, very minor scratches (ie. $0 cost). I'm still learning, and honestly, practicing skills is a bit harder on a 550 lb bike, regardless of athletic skills. However, it is manageable if done carefully. 2000 miles so far, and I'm loving it. Everything I hoped for and more. Maybe someday I will upgrade, but not soon.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Because if you dream about taking perfect corners in your Hayabusa or GSXR when you sleep at night you might not like a cruisers more lethargic handling style and reduced aerodynamics. If you sigh with envy every time you see a big cruiser aimlessly making its way to nowhere in particular with a very relaxed rider on top taking stock of his life and enjoying scenic view then you probably don't want a ninja.
Hmmm....I wonder which kind YOU prefer....hmmm.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
well, i bought a m800(m50) as my first bike. and yes, i handles great,and has lots of power.
the only problem so far is that until now, not many aftermarket parts are avaible.
it is at great cruiser, but if you want to ride long distances, you should go for the sv 650 instead. a m800 goes from 0-60 just around 6 sec. so it is a fast bike. and has the right attitude and sound when fitted with vance & hines. :)

21 - 25 of 25 Posts