Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Brand new here, but I've been stalking for a bit. I've been drooling over the M50 since it was released in 2005, and I've wanted one ever since. I'm finally in the position to buy one, and of course, they remodeled the whole thing and I really don't like the new ones.

In particular, the headlight and the rear fender were selling points for me on the older models, and I don't like either on the new one. I could take or leave the rear fender although it lost something in my eyes from the old one... but that front headlight... It reminds me of some sort of early 80's thing. I don't know why they got rid of the awesome-looking aggressive front headlight!

Anyway, I digress... at this point, I'm considering a used M50.... Or a C50 B.O.S.S. which I have to wait a little while on. The B.O.S.S. is much more reminiscent of the of the older M50 than the new remodel could ever hope to be, and what it loses in fenders it gains in the blackout look...

But, since you guys are the experts... What's your take? What are the key differences/similarities? Do you think the older rear fender could be retrofit onto the B.O.S.S.?

I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
it depends on alot of factors, how much freeway/highway riding do you do? if you spend alot of your time over 55mph, you will probobly be better with the C50, the windshield is a godsend at high speed, but pretty irrelevant under 55mph. the factory saddlebags are also really nice.

that being said, i've always found the M50 to be alot more comfortable than the C, and it has a much more agressive look, i love the extra legroom it has, but as alot will tell you, the handlebars can be a bit of a stretch to reach if your not particularly tall.

you can get a pre-2010 M50 for around 3000-$4500 on craigslist, while the C50 BOSS will proboobly cost as least twice that. i'm not a fan of the new style m50's either, the headlight cowling just looks cheap, and the speedometer is tiny and hard to read compared to the older models. but if you want the blacked out look the M50 is also pretty easy to black out for relatively cheap. i just painted my headlamp bucket as well as the speedometer shield/cover thing a semi gloss black, and it looks awesome. i'll be doing the turn signals soon as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it depends on alot of factors, how much freeway/highway riding do you do? if you spend alot of your time over 55mph, you will probobly be better with the C50, the windshield is a godsend at high speed, but pretty irrelevant under 55mph. the factory saddlebags are also really nice.
We're talking about the C50, not the C90T. As far as I can tell it has no windshield or saddlebags:

http://image.motorcyclistonline.com...+w620/122-1305-01-o+2014-suzuki-C50-BOSS+.jpg

That said, I'll spend most of my time around 50-60 (that's the speed limit on the surface streets here in the Mojave Desert) with an occasional jaunt on the freeways or on the curvy canyon roads.

That being said, i've always found the M50 to be alot more comfortable than the C, and it has a much more agressive look, i love the extra legroom it has, but as alot will tell you, the handlebars can be a bit of a stretch to reach if your not particularly tall.
I've test driven a few M50's and found them to be a bit of a stretch for me at 5'4. I've been looking for a way to move the controls backward but I think that's a pipe dream. I think floorboards or stirrup pegs would be my best bet for comfort to keep my feet a little further back in the normal riding position, with the stretch just to work the controls. The handlebars aren't really an issue with the right spacer setup, but I'm thinking the reach on the C50 might be a little less....

You can get a pre-2010 M50 for around 3000-$4500 on craigslist, while the C50 BOSS will proboobly cost as least twice that. i'm not a fan of the new style m50's either, the headlight cowling just looks cheap, and the speedometer is tiny and hard to read compared to the older models. but if you want the blacked out look the M50 is also pretty easy to black out for relatively cheap. i just painted my headlamp bucket as well as the speedometer shield/cover thing a semi gloss black, and it looks awesome. i'll be doing the turn signals soon as well.
I'm leaning toward the C50 mostly because I can get the 0% financing and cash back on it -- and it's hard to finance a 2009 or older. I'm sure that's another thread entirely but does anyone have any good leads on motorcycle financing for used bikes, not through a dealership? Personal loans are out for me, my credit's not that good. I need something secured, so Suzuki financing sounds like a pretty good deal. I wish I was in this position a few years ago when Suzuki was actually making the bike I want, then there'd be no question. But at this point I'm thinking I'll go with the bike that's not EXACTLY what I want to start, then mod to the exact bike I want as I go along. I guess my big concern is, what, if any, are the mechanical and/or performance differences between the two bikes?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
think dxr was thinking of the c50t. the big difference between the boss/se and standard are the wheels and paint jobs

engine wise the c and the m are identical. the m uses a different fork if i remember right. other than that its pretty much cosmetic.

if you are thinking of replacing the saddle on either. do it before you move the pegs. most aftermarket saddles will change your riding position. and thus may remove your desire to move the pegs/foot controls. i know corbin offers a close (short folk) saddle for the harleys. and can do custom work upon request. theres a few threads about where you move with various saddles. that probably doesnt pertain to the 2010+ m's and alot of the mfgs dont have much listed about the 2013 models yet.

getting non-dealer financing on a used motorcycle is esentially the same as getting an unsecured loan from the bank. if you got really good credit or a house with some equity its not a problem otherwise figure you'll need cash.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Sorry dude, but if your "credit is not so good" then Suzuki is not going to give you the zero percent financing. And the cash back offer is only on leftover 2012 and 2013 models; the C50 boss is a 2014 model with no special offers.
Which is just as well, because you don't want to finance either one for five years. Both are equally underpowered and most people are ready to upgrade to something larger long before the 5 years worth of payments are over. And you should know both bikes have a life expectancy in the 40-50,000 mile range, so if you ride a lot then chances are niether will last for the full five years.
Not to mention that choosing a bike based on the ability to get long term financing is not a good idea, and a great way to be broke & miserable in a couple of years.

·
Registered
396 Posts
...Both are equally underpowered and most people are ready to upgrade to something larger long before the 5 years worth of payments are over...
Owning one of the Newer M50 ( love it by the way ) I have to agree with the good Dr. I'm in my third riding season with this bike and more then ready to move up. Actually just had two test rides on a Victory Cross Country and a Victory Vision at Motorcycle rally this past weekend...

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
I've test driven a few M50's and found them to be a bit of a stretch for me at 5'4. I've been looking for a way to move the controls backward
It's a LOT easier to move the rider forward on the seat a little bit.

And at your size (mine too) both of those bikes are probably NOT a good choice for a very first ride.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I didn't say it's "not so good" -- I said it's "not THAT good" -- as in, personal loans are hard to get without owning a home, which I don't. In fact, one of the reasons I'm looking at buying a bike on a loan is that it will help build my credit toward the home ownership I'm planning next year. Buy something with a relatively low monthly payment, and make that payment religiously and don't pay it off early -- this helps build credit for bigger and better things. I've re-established credit numbers after some issues several years back, but not my loan history. This is a good way to do it. :)

Thanks for the advice on the % rate, I wasn't considering that it wouldn't be 0% (for the 2014 models), although I'm not sure it matters. Either way, Suzuki's finance rate will be considerably lower than a 9, 10, 12, 15% personal loan which will make a considerable difference.

As for size and the bike being underpowered... I've been riding for 20 years. My first bike was a Yamaha Maxim 650 and I was plenty happy on that for most of those 20 years. I just sold it last year before a cross-country move. When I wasn't riding that (it didn't run, off and on, throughout those years), I was riding one of 2 Honda Rebels I owned over the years. I can't say the Rebels were fast enough or powerful enough, but as long as I had a tail wind, they could hit 85 without an issue. The older I get, the less inclined I am to even want to do 85. I could put 3 Honda Rebel engines inside the M/C50 and still have an extra 50cc leftover for a lawnmower. I think the power will be fine. And, until my business is wildly more successful than it is now, the gas mileage will be a big plus, too. My truck gets 12-15 MPG on a good day, and far less on my one-mile commute to work (I think it sucks down a gallon just on startup). Since it's always sunny here in the Mojave Desert, a bike is a good idea. I probably won't realistically put more than 4,000 miles or so on a bike per year, so longevity in the 40-50k range isn't an issue either. Between the 3 bikes I had, I don't think I did more than 30,000 combined in 20 years. If I buy a new bike now, I will be able to bequeath it in my will 50 years from now. ;-)

Easy Rider -- it's more than just the look. That got me wanting it in 2005, but the test drive, the reviews, and the specs kept me wanting it all this time. :) Thanks for the advice on the seat. I did that with my 650. When I bought it I was on tip-toes with the standard seat. Sent it off to Sargent in Florida and had it scooped out -- when it returned I was flat-footed. I know I can almost flat-foot the M/C50, but the one I rode (with forward controls) seemed a bit uncomfortable for more than a short jaunt. I don't think it'll be much of an issue without the FC's, but if it is, I thank you for the advice on scooting the seat instead of trying to machine something to make the pedals work better.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
I know homeowners with a 740 credit rating who were turned down for the zero percent financing, so count on paying interest. But you REALLY should talk to a mortgage loan officer about this plan. 10 out of 10 will tell you it is a bad one. Buy the house first, then the bike, not the other way around.

This advise is intended for everyone. not just TheTechGods, so read it if you are considering a home purchase or want to build/ rebuild credit.

Having a bike loan outstanding will really hurt your mortgage application. Having $5000 in cash in the bank is a huge plus; having a $5000 motorcycle that is paid for is not as good but at least it is an asset so it is a minor plus; having 3-4 years left on a motorcycle loan is very bad. The bike does not count as an asset because you do not have the title and a finance company has a lien against it. The amount of the monthly motorcycle payment gets backed out of your available income as it is unavailable for housing costs. The outstanding loan balance really hurts your income-to-debt ratio, reducing both your creditworthiness and the amount the mortgage company will say you can afford even if they approve you. And it is considered a debt you can not easily get out of because on 4-5 year financing on a motorcycle you will always be upside down and owe more than the bike is worth. These factors far, far outweigh the little bit of positive that will come out of making 12 payments to the loan on time. A bunch of people on this forum, myself included, have bought homes or refinanced while at the same time looking at a new bike, and in every single case the mortgage office told us to hold off on the bike purchase until the day after the mortgage closed.
On the other hand, having a good credit history and home ownership will get you a far more attractive options for financing the motorcycle. So pay cash for a used bike now, finance a new one after you get into the house. Or finance a bike on a one year loan you can pay off before applying for a mortgage, as this will give you a record of on time payments plus available income and retired debt, rather than outstanding debt.
To really build your credit, you are correct in that you need to make on time monthly payments over time, but you need to do it without offsetting this by incurring debt that hurts you at home buying time. Monthly bills in your name, such as Internet, cell phone, home phone, cable TV, rent, etc, from companies that report to credit agencies will build your credit if they are made on time without have any negative debt go along with it. Credit cards can hurt even if you do not carry a balance: if you have a credit card with a $5000 limit but no outstanding balance, the mortgage company is going to count that available $5000 in credit against you, on the assumption that you would not have that available credit if you did not plan on using it. SO close any charge accounts you do not actually use. A small credit card, however, can help if you pay the balance to zero every month. A good one is the Capital One starter card with a $300 limit. Charge no more than $30 on it every month (cell phone bill, gas, whatever) and then pay it off each month. This will give you a history of on time payments without having a large chunk of available credit to scare the mortgage company. But if you are late with even a single payment, or carry a balance from month to month, then the card will hurt more than the on time payments will help.
So either pay cash for a bike now, get a loan you know will be paid off before you apply for a mortage, or hold off on the bike purchase until after you get the house.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My mortgage broker must be the 11th guy. We consulted him about this last week and he recommended it. We're already approved but we'd like to get our pre-approval a little higher so we can get the place we want on the first shot instead of getting something smaller. He advised us that another loan in good standing is the missing piece of our credit picture, and it's what's keeping our score a little lower (not much lower than that 740 you mentioned, mind you). I do appreciate you looking out, but our income is plenty high to take the extra payment hit and still support the larger house payment, which would be lower than our current rent. We just need to add a few points to the score. Everyone's credit picture is different and has different requirements to raise it up, and no one could possibly get the whole picture from a simple statement like, "Credit isn't that good." Thanks for your responses. :)

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
no one could possibly get the whole picture from a simple statement like, "Credit isn't that good."
Was it you that said "credit isn't that good" ?
If so, you are painting a misleading picture......or are "fudging" a bit when you say your score isn't that far from 740.

Yes, GE and Sheffield -- both backed by Suzuki -- are what I'm calling "Suzuki Financing". Thanks for the luck!
HAhahaha.....GE backed by Suzuki. That's like saying a Pit Bull is backed up by a mouse.

I think some of your perceptions are off by just a bit here.......or you are mis-representing some of the facts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You don't think Suzuki has anything to do with Sheffiled advertising on behalf of Suzuki a 0% financing rate? I mean that Suzuki's relationship with them, and their desire to sell motorcycles by financing them, is based on the relationship that these two large companies have. I'm pretty clear on that, I've been around the block a few times.

I did say my credit's not that good. Last check was 695 and rising. Personal loans are hard to come by these days. I'm not a doctor or a lawyer, and self-employment income doesn't impress banks no matter how high it is. When a company as large as Suzuki steps in on behalf of a rider to lenders as large as GE and Sheffield and says, "Gee, we really wanna sell this guy a bike," it impresses them quite a bit more than when I go to a bank and say, "Gee, I really want to borrow $9000 and have nothing to show for it." I don't think that perception's off at all.

Just to be clear here... This is not a financing thread. I appreciate all the insights on the question I didn't ask and all the assumptions about my lack of knowledge or about my financial situations, but it's not feeling too welcoming around here.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I will tell you and not to beat a dead horse on the financial subject, Neither company will offer 0% if you're under 700. They will offer 2.99% at best. They read my score improperly and that's what I was originally offered. My home refinance hadn't showed up at the time. Sheffield missed out and GE accepted because I have history with them.

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
Just to be clear here... This is not a financing thread. I appreciate all the insights on the question I didn't ask and all the assumptions about my lack of knowledge or about my financial situations, but it's not feeling too welcoming around here.
Just to be perfectly clear here.......YOU are the one that brought up financing.....in post #3.

What you will get here are honest opinions and they often vary greatly.
YOU sort out the ones that apply to you and the ones that don't.

It won't be a very friendly place if you start picking fights with the participants for giving you the opinions that YOU asked for. :fight2:

·
Registered
396 Posts
TheTechGods - if it were me, I'd go for the 2005-2009 M50 since this is the style you like. Best of luck on the purchase I'm looking forward to seeing pics and the smile it will put on your face.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Quazi!

Easy, you're right, I brought it up, and didn't feel the need to spend hours detailing every piece of the picture, because what I asked was if anyone had any leads on used financing when buying through a private seller. I'm not going to beat this dead horse either but I'm not sure how you're going to talk about it being a friendly place when I'm using happy face smilies and you're using one that shows my happy face getting beaten with a stick. We got off on the wrong foot here -- the rub to me was "HAhahahah.... I think some of your perceptions may be off just a bit here." That was an assumption based on me not spending an hour laying out every bit of knowledge that I had, or the fact that I have already been working with professionals on the subject. If you're a mortgage person or a "Suzuki" finance person, please correct me if those professionals I've already consulted are wrong. :) Otherwise let's put it to rest.

The more I think of it the more I want to go ahead and get the 2009-ish M50 since it's what I've always wanted anyway, but we'll see how this plays out with the dealership. I missed out on a sweet 09 the other day with only 406 miles on it just because the dealership wasn't a convenient place for me to walk into (100 miles away)... But the dealer is on the trail of another one I should hear more about today. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.