Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 76 savage 650. There are 2 rubber tubes coming out behind
The engine. One just started draining oil why are there and how do I stop the draining ?

·
Registered
109 Posts
The Savage was manufactured 1986 on. I had the 1987 model, wide ratio 4 speed. (Later ones 1990's on were 5 speed, but top gear is only 300 rpm lower than my 1987, so of little real advantage. They changed the igniter and timing of the alternator pulley on later models, which would cause ignition timing problems if not replaced as a set - igniter and pulley.)

Not sure what you mean by 2 rubber tubes. Sorry, been a while since I messed with my Savage as I got rid of it in 2014 when I got my 2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII. One is possibly the carb drain, other possibly battery vent. I think there was also a crankcase vent.

If you have a failure in the carburetor caused by a faulty tank petcock fuel cutoff coupled with a leaking or stuck open carb float valve, it is possible that fuel is seeping past into the crankcase, diluting the oil and causing crankcase to overfill.

Also, there is a plug that is mounted in the head that when removed allows access to the head stud nut for tightening on the forward right side. It looks almost like a rubber covered freeze plug or thimble. Replacement part came around 2004, which is a different shaped plug that doesn't leak. I had resealed the old with RTV, but it would start leaking a week or two later. When I replaced that plug with the newer later one stopped all leaks.

If you post photos would help to see what you are talking about.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts