Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey there, new member here :)

I am thinking of buying a marauder vz 800 but, as a new rider, would very much appreciate the opinion on the particular bike i want to get, some basic tips etc. :)

Hope to join the ranks of Suzuki 800 owners soon!

Now to the question - could you please give me your opinion on this 2002 VZ 800? I want to get a cruiser and came to really like the marauder 800. A guy in my town is selling one for a decent price and says that the bike is in good condition. I went to see it and liked it a lot - it was actually even better than I expected. However, I am a motorcycle noob so in any case I will have to get a bike mechanic to check the bike for me on the spot. But before that, i would like to have some opinion on it. At least opinion you can get from the pictures :)

It should have about 12K miles on it. The bike looks nice, I just don't know what the yellow thing on the side of that engine pipe is - do you have any idea what it could be? I don't think it is from a drop. Is it a (potential) problem other than that it looks bad? Is there a way to fix it (or replace the part for a reasonable price)?

Please check the pictures - 4 of them are new (when i checked the bike last week), one is 10 years old, when the current owner bought the bike from Germany (where it had 1 owner).

And do you have any general tips what too be cautios of on these bikes, engines etc.?

https://i.servimg.com/u/f94/20/09/20/12/vz800_10.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f94/20/09/20/12/vz800_11.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f94/20/09/20/12/vz_80010.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f94/20/09/20/12/vz800_12.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f94/20/09/20/12/vz800_13.jpg

Thank you very much,

Lukas

·
Super Moderator
12,163 Posts
Welcome.
IF.....you can flat-foot that bike at a standstill, it should be a reasonable first bike.
IF.....you get some training and experience on something smaller first. Even refreshing your skills on a bicycle will help.

THEN....please do NOT mess with the fonts and colors when you post messages.
I took the liberty to fix your post because it was un-readable with the original colors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the fonts and colors, I didn't mess with them, but I have Dark reader turned on on my chrome so that probably did the job.

About the bike - the bike is comfortable for me and I am very much determined to buy it; my question was rather the bike itself - the particular model and the particular bike (I know that it is hard to tell based only on the photos, but it's all I got)... Are there any problems of these models to be aware of? Check out something specific? Etc. And what about the yellow thing on the rear exhaust pipe, is that a sign of some problem or it may happen with time?

Thank you very much... I have some 5000 miles on various Harleys but can't afford one now so I am thinking about getting this one... but actually I like it a lot, the bike was very comfortable for me...

Any help would be appreciated :)

·
Super Moderator
12,163 Posts
I personally do not remember any "common" problems with that model.
There isn't a lot of traffic here recently and it might take several days for anybody who really KNOWS to comment.
Have you done any searching through old posts on here ??

If by yellow you are talking about that "gold/blue" spot on the chrome exhaust pipe fairly near to the engine, that is a normal process of aging for many chrome pipes......due to the heat.
It might indicate that they are double walled pipes and the inside one has burned through at that point.
It might indicate that cylinder is running a bit too hot.
But generally it does NOT indicate anything serious that you really need to worry about.

A 17 year old small cruiser like that probably has a fair market value somewhat less than $1000 US......so you can't really lose too much in the deal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had an 06 M50...same thing as Marauder except it was fuel injected. I bought it a few years old with about 5,000 miles on it. I put about 10,000 miles on that bike in 3 years with no problems. Bike got about 45 mpg and ran great. It would run out at 110 mph...and was perfect for 70 mph or slower speeds. I had bikes as a kid and teenager, but this was my first real street bike.
Today I’m riding a Harley Road Glide and the VZ800 was a good stepping stone. Hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The yellowed spot with a little rust on the left side exhaust pipe cover looks like someone got a piece of clothing or bag with nylon that melted there, then was removed, but through cleaning thinned the chrome so some rust shows. I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a 02 marauder for a few years. it was a good bike for around town, but the seat was unbearable for more than an hour. From the pictures, that doesn't look like the stock seat so it may be much better. Mine didn't give me any trouble, and was fun. it's ok for a first bike, but you really should take a rider safety course for your benefit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts