Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So I have a 97 suzuki rf900r. It has a little over 33k miles on it. I've only owned it for about the last 1000. I went to do an oil change and I found these in the oil pan. Anyone have any clue what these could be from? I dont think it makes any difference but from the spark plug I can see the top of the pistons are all covered in carbon. Solid black.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
well im not a bike Mech. however if i ahd to guess. that looks like a piece of ring, piston, and a mount perhaps a bearing as well to a crank shaft.. they may be left over from a rebuild, I would even go as far as to guess your only running 3 of for whole cylinerds .. does it sound real rough runing or anything? can you hear a clear miss?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well im not a bike Mech. however if i ahd to guess. that looks like a piece of ring, piston, and a mount perhaps a bearing as well to a crank shaft.. they may be left over from a rebuild, I would even go as far as to guess your only running 3 of for whole cylinerds .. does it sound real rough runing or anything? can you hear a clear miss?
No not at all. Runs pretty good actually. Definitely not misfiring. I'm familiar with the chugging along sound that produces. But it definitely has me very worried. And then the carbon. But I don't have a shitload of money to just replace everything.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
Not a piston ring nor bearing from the pics. I would hazard a guess at some form of case casting along with a wiring harness clamp. An external case strip down may cast some explanation or as mentioned they may be left over from some previous work. However they got in there doesnt bode well for any work that was done imo. You must have dropped the oil pan to get those out....yeah? Any indication where they came from by looking underneath...may be take a couple of pics so we can speculate. Either way it cant be too important as the bike is running fine....for now!

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
13,035 Posts
And then the carbon. But I don't have a shitload of money to just replace everything.
Well then just ride it until something actually quits working.
And STOP worrying about the bugaboo of carbon buildup.
ALL internal combustion engines tend to accumulate some carbon in the combustion chambers.
A bit more as it ages and pumps a little oil is perfectly normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not a piston ring nor bearing from the pics. I would hazard a guess at some form of case casting along with a wiring harness clamp. An external case strip down may cast some explanation or as mentioned they may be left over from some previous work. However they got in there doesnt bode well for any work that was done imo. You must have dropped the oil pan to get those out....yeah? Any indication where they came from by looking underneath...may be take a couple of pics so we can speculate. Either way it cant be too important as the bike is running fine....for now!

Good luck
Actually this may surprise you but they came right out of the oil plug drain as the oil was draining. I found them in the old oil after I was dumping it into a bottle for disposal. Then found the pieces laying in the bottom.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
Right.... an object by the side of them to act as a comparison would have helped there then. I still say its part of a casting from a case or similar and as the bike runs OK then keep riding I guess

1 - 9 of 9 Posts