Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a brand new '04 GSXR600 and will be taking the bike back to school with me in NYC. I'm well aware of the theft rate of bikes down there. I do rent a house that has a garage, but I'm looking for a good alarm as well. I have NO experience when it comes to alarm systems for bikes. I'm looking for a mid-range priced alarm; something that does more than "scream" when someone touches it. I know a lot of alarms come with LCD's that can track movement up to 2 miles, etc. Anyone know of any good alarms, where to find them, ease of installation, and price? I contacted my dealer and they gave me no recomendations...

· Premium Member
20,974 Posts
Do some searching over at ST.net in the gadgets forum. There's been a lot of talk about them over there.

· Registered
239 Posts
Is that your first bike??? Did you pay in full Cash or are you financing???? Also maybe you should also get a motion sensor that way if someone comes withen a certain distance of your bike the alarm will sound a warning chirp

· Registered
162 Posts
Also maybe you should also get a motion sensor that way if someone comes withen a certain distance of your bike the alarm will sound a warning chirp
In my opinion, if you have a motion sensor, you should probably have it play a message that says "Please screw with me." That's pretty much what a lot of people will assume that chirp means anyway.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is my first sportbike. I did buy it out-right so no financing. I've been looking at the Scorpio SR-i500's but just didn't know if anyone could suggest something better...

· Registered
21 Posts
I was talking with a guy about a month ago that had just bought an 04 katana, and he had the dealer install an alarm that goes off if the bike is lifted off the sidestand to a vertical position. He said it had some weight that somewhat pivots and you can put the whole system under your seat. It has the obvious LED thingy to "deter" thieves, and it absolutely screams when set off.
When I used to park my bike outside my apartment, I had to go apesh*t on kids trying to stand it up. This would scare them off of it, and it sounds like something that won't give you a lot of false alarms just from a loud noise nearby. I gotta look into it, just don't have any money right now! BTW, the guy said it was something like 100 bucks installed by the dealer on purchase of the bike.
-Dennis

· Registered
1,668 Posts
It sounds like the alarm system you just described is the Gorilla alarm. I have one for my bike. It's pretty good and reliable. It has an adjustable shock sensor, or you can even turn it off. The alarm will sound if wires are cut (current drain) or the bike is uprighted (tilt sensor) or by impact (shock sensor). You can install the whole thing yourself, but it may take a while depending on where you want to put it on the bike. Still, not too bad for under $100. Check out www.motorcycle-superstore.com for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.