Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, so basically I have this Suzuki gs 125 from the '82 that my dad bought some time ago. It's been sitting for 3 years, and now I just cant get it to work properly. I changed fuel, changed oil, cleaned carb and made sure there aren't any air leaks, but for some reason it just doesn't run good. It keeps bogging when giving throttle. It came with a 95 main jet, i tried with a 102 and it was still bogging, I tried with a 90 and it was also still bogging. Could it be an electrical problem?

·
Super Moderator
13,713 Posts
Could it be an electrical problem?
Maybe but probably not.

Does it run better if you leave the choke partly ON ?
Have you let it idle long enough to warm up good ?
Does it have a factory intake and air filter on it ?
Factory muffler ??

What you report is usually caused by the low speed jets in the carb being partially plugged.....and they are not replaceable.

You might try a healthy dose of Berrymans B12 Chemtool or Gumout in the gas and let it run until warm a few times over a couple of days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe but probably not.

Does it run better if you leave the choke partly ON ?
Have you let it idle long enough to warm up good ?
Does it have a factory intake and air filter on it ?
Factory muffler ??

What you report is usually caused by the low speed jets in the carb being partially plugged.....and they are not replaceable.

You might try a healthy dose of Berrymans B12 Chemtool or Gumout in the gas and let it run until warm a few times over a couple of days.
Thanks for the quick answer,
It has a factory exhaust, but not a factory air filter. I bought one that allows fore more air, but even trying to re jet to a bigger jet made the situation worse. It always feel rich. And using the choke either make it worse or it doesn't do anything. When it doesn't bog down immediately I can sometimes go up to higher revs, but then it just stop going up and start sputtering, almost if it's drowning in fuel. I am think of buying a cheap used (but working) carburetor to see if that was the problem. By the way I always let it get up to temperature before testing the whole throttle.

·
Super Moderator
13,713 Posts
It has a factory exhaust, but not a factory air filter.
Start by putting a stock air filter back on it.
But it does sound like an excess fuel situation.
Does it ever SMELL rich.....any evidence of raw fuel coming out the pipes ?
Could be a stuck float in the carb allowing too much fuel in the bowl.

I still recommend a healthy dose of a good carb cleaner.
That does NOT mean SeaFoam.

P.S. Gotta ask: Are you sure that you have the operation of the choke "straight" ?
When the choke is ON, it is closed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi everyone, so basically I have this Suzuki gs 125 from the '82 that my dad bought some time ago. It's been sitting for 3 years, and now I just cant get it to work properly. I changed fuel, changed oil, cleaned carb and made sure there aren't any air leaks, but for some reason it just doesn't run good. It keeps bogging when giving throttle. It came with a 95 main jet, i tried with a 102 and it was still bogging, I tried with a 90 and it was also still bogging. Could it be an electrical problem?
battery replacement spark plugs replacement did you change any kind of air filter or gas filter has the bike been sitting for three years and one place and the tires are out of shape the tires might be already out of shape and needs to be replaced or starting to get cracks in them you might need more than just carburetor cleaning fluid to take it apart and clean it because the gas was not removed from it and it's sat in they're clogging everything up try using high octane gas for a while because it is being starved but just regular gas high octane gas will help it and then you can go back to regular gas later when you're using regular gas with ethanol in it it's like using a lawn mower with gas in it and it sits there for a year or two or three it clogs up everything that's why for a lawn mowers weed eaters and stuff like that you're supposed to use non ethanol give me non ethanol is better for scooters because you cannot run the fuel out of the fuel line when you get ready to store it like you do on a regular motorcycle

·
Super Moderator
13,713 Posts
battery replacement spark plugs replacement did you change any kind of air filter or gas filter has the bike been sitting for three years and one place and the tires are out of shape
We have talked about this before.

YOU need to be more considerate of others and less selfish.

What happens if you say "period" at the end of a sentence ?
The speech to text software you are using should have some mechanism to make "normal" text.

IF you are unable or unwilling to find out how to do that, you will not be welcome here anymore.
Simple, simple, simple.

You NEED to learn how to use your speech to text software so that it creates "normal" easily readable text.
I have asked a couple of people about this and I am now pretty sure that is fairly easy to do.......and you are just lazy.

So....this is strike two.
One more strike and you are OUT.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We have talked about this before.

You NEED to learn how to use your speech to text software so that it creates "normal" easily readable text.
I have asked a couple of people about this and I am now pretty sure that is fairly easy to do.......and you are just lazy.

So....this is strike two.
One more strike and you are OUT.
I am talk texting. This is how I do it by talk texting it's easier to do things by talk texting. You got to spend it by something that is so simple what do you do when life really gets hard. This is why women succeed better in life than men because because we have to deal with more challenges than men do and we don't have a fit over a stupid thing like a period. So petty so petty so petty.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Back to the OP.... you need to set the float level if its too high....too much fuel... then it will always run rich. also what ER said about the idle passages being blocked...this is one of the most common problems when an engine bogs down as there is insufficient fuel flow from the idle circuit to 1/8 throttle opening...this is where the needle and main jet begins to take over.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts