Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Needs an Identity
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've taken the next step.
I signed up for it tonight (online), and I should get a call from a representative,
to get enrolled in the class.
So if all goes well, the course is later this week.
Thu 5th, Sat 7th, Sun 8th.
Wish me luck. :smile:

· Registered
1,933 Posts
trini0 said:
Ok, Im confirmed to take the course this week.
Now to take a trip to my local shop for some gloves.
I'll keep you updated on my progress...

Forcast calls for rain on Saturday.
http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/tenday.html?locid=USFL0204
I hope that it doesn't :shock:
I took it at my local Harly shop and the instructor told us we'll ride in the rain if it rains so bring rain gear or get wet. Also regular garage mechanic type gloves are acceptable for the class if you have them. Don't rush buy gear cause once you wear it out, it's yours to keep. Take your time shop around all the shops and dealers (other brands too), make al list and then decide what's best, fits right and then go back and buy it.

:)

· Registered
142 Posts
Nexus242 said:
I took it at my local Harly shop and the instructor told us we'll ride in the rain if it rains so bring rain gear or get wet. Also regular garage mechanic type gloves are acceptable for the class if you have them. Don't rush buy gear cause once you wear it out, it's yours to keep. Take your time shop around all the shops and dealers (other brands too), make al list and then decide what's best, fits right and then go back and buy it.

:)

AMEN. Just go get some leather garden gloves or even better, borrow some just to use at the MSF. You won't be going more than 30 MPH in the MSF course so don't buy gear untill you know exactly what you want, and then buy the best you can buy.

· Needs an Identity
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

· Registered
510 Posts
Speaking of which...I have been riding for almost a year, and just now took the MSF last week. Its a good time, and worth the insurance break. That and some of the things they taught was news to me. I may end up becoming a rider coach for the course soon enough.

· Registered
4,680 Posts
trappercase said:
Taking the course in the rain is a bonus. Free foul weather training.
true. i took the final test in a downpour. no one had an accident, and the instructors got to teach us stuff we wouldn't normally have gotten a chance to learn if it had stayed dry.

· Registered
125 Posts
My wife just went thought the same this pass weekend. Here in Canada, the MSF course
is done over two days. She experienced the worse weather I can remember in a long time. On Saturday the temperature was around 34F and rained all day. Sunday, the temperature was 32F and 1 inch of snow on the ground. After using trucks and cars to clear a path through the snow, the second day started. Most of the day, the temperature was around 35f to 36F with rain. When it was all done, she passed with very few points being taken off but several weren’t so lucky.
Most failed because they didn’t complete the sections within the time allowed. One rider dropped the bike on the last obstacle. Dropping the bike results in immediate failure. My wife as since been riding my GSX-R600 around the area. She is really enjoying it. Going very easy on the gas.

· Needs an Identity
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well day one is in.
We had a fun laid back group, and the instructors were great.
We covered quite a bit of material, via the supplied handbook, and videos.
Im all giddy with excitement now, to go riding on Saturday.
Cant wait. :bounce:
I'll report back with more on my experiences this weekend...

· Registered
1,933 Posts
sunny said:
true. i took the final test in a downpour. no one had an accident, and the instructors got to teach us stuff we wouldn't normally have gotten a chance to learn if it had stayed dry.
Humm just today I took my bike to work in a light mist this morning cause it was gonna clear up by mid afternoon. Anyway another manager was shocked I rode in the mist/rain, I told him this is Florida it rains nearly everyday in the spring/summer. Either your learn how to ride in the rain or you gonna die.

· Registered
833 Posts
I ride every day unless there's snow or ice. Its really not that bad, all the cages slow way the heck down in the rain and generally people are more cautious than they are when its sunny and dry. I just slow down on the curves and make sure my overpants are buttoned tight at the ankle before I leave so my pant legs don't get wet ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.