Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a matter of 15 minutes of riding my bikes temp raised to 250 and started smoking and I believe coolant fluid was boiling out through the bottom but I'm not sure what's wrong with it. My fan will not come on at all. The fuse for it is still good. And it is continuing to not turn on so I drove straight home from work today. I don't what I should do. Im somewhat mechanically inclined. I don't know what all goes into having to do with the fan and thermoswitch. (Haven't had this problem before)

·
Super Moderator
12,898 Posts
My fan will not come on at all.
THIS likely is the problem.

Typically, one side of the fan motor has +12V on it all the time.....when the ignition is ON......and the thermoswitch applies a ground to the other fan wire completing the circuit and making the fan run.

First, spin the fan blade by hand to be sure it isn't physically locked up.
Then test for voltage on the input wire (with ignition ON).
Then test for voltage on the other wire going to the switch.
If all that checks out, unplug the switch wire and ground it (or just ground it with a little jumper wire).

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Find a wire that is connected to the frame or run a jumper as Easy suggested. If you don't have a multimeter, go buy one. They can be had cheap and you will need one now and probably in the future also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I discovered another problem on my bike. My low beam headlights are not coming on. The fuse is still good for it. Im starting to think I'm having a regulator problem. I just had my old one that went out replaced by a new one. Now before my old one went out. My headlights and fan were fully functioning before my bike eventually stopped working due to the regulator going bad. Does anyone think that it could be wired/hooked up wrong?

·
Super Moderator
12,898 Posts
Now before my old one went out. My headlights and fan were fully functioning before my bike eventually stopped working due to the regulator going bad. Does anyone think that it could be wired/hooked up wrong?
No, not likely.
But the old one could have been putting out too much voltage that "blew" the headlight and the fan motor.
The new one could be bad too.

YOU NEED A MULTI-METER.....OR SOMEONE WHO HAS ONE.

(Note: I deleted the other new thread you started with exactly the same message. ONE discussion is best.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts