Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just recently purchased this bike and it turned on and ran fine when I got it home.

The next day I try to start the bike and the clock is still showing the time on the dash when the key is off/not inserted. When I go to turn the key to the ON position no lights come on, the time disappears, and the bike will not start.

The clutch is engaged and the kickstand is up with the bike in neutral. I charge the battery last night and it’s reading 13.5V on my multimeter. I also checked all the fuses main and auxiliary there all ok.

Really not too sure what it could be because it started up fine yesterday. Any insight would be much appreciated. Cheers

·
Super Moderator
13,035 Posts
Check that voltage again AFTER an attempt to start it and with the charger disconnected.
Make the measurement on the cable end connectors, NOT on the actual battery posts.

Either your battery is completely shot OR there is a loose connection at one end of one of the main battery cables.

Hopefully.

After that, it gets a bit complicated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check that voltage again AFTER an attempt to start it and with the charger disconnected.
Make the measurement on the cable end connectors, NOT on the actual battery posts.

Either your battery is completely shot OR there is a loose connection at one end of one of the main battery cables.

Hopefully.

After that, it gets a bit complicated.
Thanks for the advice. Upon further inspection one of the main 30a fuses was burnt. Not in the middle bridge like normal but on the on terminal side and melted a bit of the plastic housing.

Just replaced the fuse and the bike is running fine again!

·
Super Moderator
13,035 Posts
Just replaced the fuse and the bike is running fine again!
That situation means that the fuse was not making good contact on the side that showed damage.
You likely should replace the fuse holder.......or the problem might happen again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I just recently purchased this bike and it turned on and ran fine when I got it home.

The next day I try to start the bike and the clock is still showing the time on the dash when the key is off/not inserted. When I go to turn the key to the ON position no lights come on, the time disappears, and the bike will not start.

The clutch is engaged and the kickstand is up with the bike in neutral. I charge the battery last night and it’s reading 13.5V on my multimeter. I also checked all the fuses main and auxiliary there all ok.

Really not too sure what it could be because it started up fine yesterday. Any insight would be much appreciated. Cheers
I had sorta a same problem with my 06 katana . I belive i left the enging switch on all night which drained my battery a bit ..but just enough it didnt want to wake up with out some coaxing .. playing with the choke and such . i would also check your spark plugs.. because it cant hurt and can depedning on there state . can tell you alot more about your motor is performing. did you try jumping it again as well?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts