Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday I took my new '07 M50 on its maiden voyage. I put about 60mi on it (town, highway 50, parking lot drills, etc) in sunny, dry, 40 deg weather.

My initial impression? I love it. It's nimble, powerful and in a word: fun. :D

A lot of the research and reading I've done at this site (which is awesome) came to life as well. I learned that you5 hands really do get very cold at 70mph with the temperature dropping and you can fatigue at those highway speeds - even with wind resistant gear and a full face helmet. :shock: I also noted that even at 5'9" my knees/feet feel a bit cramped...like I need about an extra inch between peg and shifter or the peg/shifter forward an inch or so.

Since I plan on riding the M50 to work on Hwy 50 about 35mi each way, every day, for the 320+ sunny fly-able days here in Nevada's high desert (4000' elevation) I am hoping you guys can help me with some mod questions on gear I've been looking at:

1) Windshield - this is going to be a must-have for the commute. Pop Top vs. Hell Cat. They both should take the pressure off of my body right [I'm 5'9" and sitting on a Saddlemen Profiler]? Is there an advantage to the hell cat?

2) Heated grips - winter gloves are too bulky for my small hands. I'm thinking of installing the Heat Demons Grip Warmers. Does anyone have experience with these? They look awesome

3) Pegs/boards - as short as I am my feet are cramped and after about an hour of riding I'm stiff. John's forward controls look they'll move me TOO far forward. I'm considering Cobra Swept boards for comfort...or Kuryakyn's Iso-Wings. Can anyone provide a review on these? I know that you can add a 360deg swivel to the Kuryakyn pegs/wings for up to 2.5" of 'room' between peg and shifter.

You guys have a wonderful site here and a great group of folks contributing. Thanks for all the input. I look forward to getting back on the bike once the front we're having leaves town this weekend...and maybe ordering some parts :mrgreen:

-Adder720

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
533 Posts
This link may help with your decision on a windshield...

http://www.motorcycle-journal.com/forum/marauder-m50-secret-hideaway/35437-hell-cat-alley-cat.html

I don't know anything about heated grips and couldn't find anything in the search.

I think the pegs vs floorboards is more of a personal thing. I have floorboards on the C50 and I'm not too fond of them but the wife loves em. But I'm also not too fond of saddle bags, fairings, sissy bars and rear pillions. but that's just my personal preference.

Oh, and :welcomes: BTW

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Nice Bike! :bluethum:

The Pop Top is mounted to the forks and further away while the Hellcat is bar mounted and closer. Both sporty looking shields that take the wind off the body and both can be taken off pretty quickly. The advantage for the Hellcat is probably the positioning options, you can rake it all the way back if you want.

I have the Kuryakyn Swing Wings. But find that I prefer them closed because they act like floor boards and allow you to position your feet more comfortably.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks SNAFU - I'm a big fan of you bike man. How's the weather out your way?

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Thanks! Weather kinda crazy. It's been raining and the roads and sidewalks are sheer ice, but I'd rather have this than -50C weather anytime.

Please fill out your profile so we know where you be. :bluethum:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Can't help you with the windshield or heated grips, as i have neither.

I will show you my peg set up though, they are Large iso pegs with 1 1/2" extensions, they get your feet away from the controls and giveyou room to "stretch" with out feeling like your loosing your footing.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Red, that full Iso "package" looks awesome! Really flows all around

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
I also noted that even at 5'9" my knees/feet feel a bit cramped...like I need about an extra inch between peg and shifter or the peg/shifter forward an inch or so.
I'm about your size with J/K F/C and love them. They don't move your feet too far forward at all. There perfect. I and about 1000 other guys would recommend them to you.

A short term fix is to adjust your stock shift lever up. It's adjustable. This will give your boots more clearance for now.

thanks, it looks even better now that i put the drag bars on as well.
RED: I want those ISO Pegs with extensions. Do you have a good link to where you got them or do you have the part numbers?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Windshield - I'm 5'9" and sitting on a Saddlemen Profiler? Is there an advantage to the hell cat?

I'm considering Cobra Swept boards for comfort...or Kuryakyn's Iso-Wings. Can anyone provide a review on these?
I have the alleycat with quick release - and it seems to keep the wind off of my chest. I'm also 5'9" on a suzuki gel seat. I like the quick release ability, and it was a fairly easy install.

I have the cobra swept boards as well. Here is my review:
"Very easy install. On the road they feel great, i took my baby for a quick winter spin, and it's a vast improvement over my stock pegs any day!

The main reason I wanted to change to floorboards was because my boot didn't fit too well underneath the peg when up-shifting from a relaxed position... i had to turn my foot out before nestling it back onto the peg (very awkward). Anyhow, that problem is now solved. It feels like riding on my burgman scooter with my feet flat on the board. You have many positions to rest your feet.

Cobra's are made from beautifully crafted chrome, they are a nice sized board, they're not as small as they appear, in fact they stick out a quite bit more from the side of your bike compared to stock pegs.
View attachment 17434 View attachment 17435

The bend-ability factor (retracting spring) seems rather limited in comparison to my stock pegs- you will be scraping these babies when doing some moderate to tight countersteering!

Another problem is that the rubber does very little to dampen the vibrations; both legs feel like you've been working a jack hammer all day which also give me nose vibrations which make me yearn to scratch it (impossible under a full face helmet). I gave them a 4 for value, because they are pricey, however, I would buy them again." Paid $269.99 at cruisercustomizing.
Good luck! :bluethum:

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm about your size with J/K F/C and love them. They don't move your feet too far forward at all. There perfect. I and about 1000 other guys would recommend them to you.

A short term fix is to adjust your stock shift lever up. It's adjustable. This will give your boots more clearance for now.

RED: I want those ISO Pegs with extensions. Do you have a good link to where you got them or do you have the part numbers?
i sent him a PM with the same question...

LOL

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
how about the brake and the shifter?
I'm not made of money over here!!!! :mrgreen:

I just going to get the pegs and see how I like them. If I really like them I'll go back and get the brake & shifter as well.

You can always go to Kuryakyn.com and get the right part numbers then shop the internet and find the best price. I didn't even look but oneida probably carries those as well.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm not made of money over here!!!! :mrgreen:

I just going to get the pegs and see how I like them. If I really like them I'll go back and get the brake & shifter as well.

You can always go to Kuryakyn.com and get the right part numbers then shop the internet and find the best price. I didn't even look but oneida probably carries those as well.
LOL

thank u

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pastorgumby,

Those boards look great man. Is there anyway to get them closer to the bike (ie, stick out a little less)?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am going to mount my new windshield tomorrow. I had the Hellcat and found I still needed full shield to keep enough wind off my face. I decided on the Slipstreamer Falcon. It is fork mounted and also more of a fairing type so will deflect wind off of my hands somewhat. That should help in the cooler temps and make riding a bit nicer. Won't need the face shield either as it is a taller windshield. Fork mounted vs handlebar mounting also (in my opinion anyway) causes less fatigue. Have a brother-in-law that drove a H-D Ultra Glide for a couple of years and he traded it for the Road Glide with the frame mounted fairing and he says no fatigue from side wind, etc as it (wind turbulence) isn't transmitted thru the bars to his arms. Makes sense to me but again just my humble opinion.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts