Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought an ME880 Metzeler (Brazilian made) at the begining of May from a Susuki dealer, they were the stock size, Before I bought them I contacted Metzeler and asked about the tire pressure and they replied 36psi for the front

I rode about 600 miles. I have notice that here is a crack in the middle of the front tire where the tire mould line (rubber flash usually there). I thought that it was a deep scratch at the beginning, but after riding 125 miles more, it is still there. It is 1" in length and 1mm deep.

I am aware of the side wall cracking issue but Did any one had a split before? is it normal for new tires?

·
Super Moderator
12,539 Posts
is it normal for new tires?
I would suggest that you need to gently probe your "split" to see if it isn't just a surface blemish. If it is less than 2 MM deep or so I don't think I'd worry about it......unless it gets deeper or longer. I suspect that it will just disappear with more wear.

It is not unusual to have some minor "mold release" marks.....where a little more rubber sticks to the mold than normal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought an ME880 Metzeler (Brazilian made) at the begining of May from a Susuki dealer, they were the stock size, Before I bought them I contacted Metzeler and asked about the tire pressure and they replied 36psi for the front
I`d be going back to the dealer, getting them and Metzeler involved ..

Chance’s are the defect will disappear with mileage, but if it does not and the tire gets too old, your out of pocket for either a new tire, or on your arse because the tire failed.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Good luck with Metzeler, they do not settle claims without passing out blame on everything but their tires, you will have better luck trying to get the dealer to offer you a replacement to maintain good customer satisfaction.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I run a Metz with 36 psi in the front with no problems like that. I doubt the tire is going to fall apart or anything, I've got a couple of gash's as deep as that I picked up on the road somewhere with no problems. I would also suggest you take it back to the dealer and demand a new one.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Damn metzlers are in my book junk. I had to replace front and rear with 5000 miles because of side wall splitting. Metzler wouldnt stand behind them nor would the dealer. I bought Kendas for half the price and they are great.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I sent an email to Metzeler, they replied that I should take the tire to the dealer i bought from and let the dealer call them. I went to the dealer, and as I was showing them the split, I realized that there is a second split on the mold parting line. That removed any doubt that it was cause by a sharp edge. In the next few days I will find out what they will do.

The dealer comments was that Metzeler is a German tires and they are good tires, they did not know that it is all Brazilian now

·
Registered
171 Posts
Suggest you post the problems / pictures and outcome on the site
Motorcycle Tire Reviews, so others can decide which tires to buy next time and why.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Metzeler sent a replacement tire, the dealer voluntary decide the wave the installation fee. The whole process took a week.

The replacement is also Brazilian. The riding season is over in Canada. The temperature is 6C° (46F°) and it was cold getting the bike back from the dealer. I will have to wait till next spring to try the replacement tire.

Final conclusion: I am satisfied with the customer service for both Metzeler and Suzuki, but next time buying tires I will think twice about the Metzeler product quality

·
I took the All Bran Challenge
7,753 Posts
Riding season over in Canada?????

:fight1:

It was chilly this morning but I passed about 30 Bikes out enjoying the Sun and Rain.

Perhaps you should move West!!!

:p

Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts