Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello MCF

I've recently purchased a used 2008 S83 Boulevard from a former friend and coworker who passed back in the fall of 2019. I don't know much at all about the suzuki or any motorcycle for that matter, but I do know that the gas in the tank was probably bad and that the carbs where probably affected as well. I purchased a new battery for the bike and was able to start it up....barely. I added a carb cleaner product to the gas and let it idle for a while. In the beginning it wanted to die if I opened up the throttle any. Eventually it started to rev up slightly but backfired a lot. After burning most of the old gas in the gas, I added a gallon of high octane gas and a can of seaform on the advice of a friend. He suggest a pattern of starting up the bike for 15 minutes and off for 15 minutes until the gallon was consumed. This seemed to help a little bit but I still had a lot of backfiring going on. One thing too about the backfires, they seem to being coming from only the right side muffler (pipe).

I was able to drive the suzuki to a local mechanic who said he would not be able to help me any due to the bike being too new, (he's a vintage guy). He did tell me to try to find a pair of OEM used or new pipes for the bike. Do you guys believe that the pipes will help with the backfires? He said the bike was running lean and the aftermarket pipes where one of the reasons for the sluggish performance and backfires.

When I drove the bike over to his shop, it ran poorly at low RPMs...but seemed to want to take off as the fuel burned better...I may not be describing exactly how it was handling but the bike seems to want to run and feels pretty good at times. I'm wondering if this bike is worth fixing up or should I bow out and sell it now before putting more money into it.

What do you folks think?

SteveInIndiana

·
Super Moderator
13,713 Posts
Seafoam is NOT a good fuel system cleaner.
Drain out as much gas as possible then put in fresh REGULAR with a double dose of Berrymans B12 Chemtool or Gumout.
Run it a few times to get it hot.

Doubtful that the pipes are the only problem.
What about the air cleaner; is it stock ??
That can have a bigger impact.

I suggest changing the plugs too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drain out as much gas as possible then put in fresh REGULAR with a double dose of Berrymans B12 Chemtool or Gumout.
Run it a few times to get it hot.

Doubtful that the pipes are the only problem.
What about the air cleaner; is it stock ??
That can have a bigger impact.

I suggest changing the plugs too.
Easy Rider
I almost purchased some Berrymans when I was looking for fuel system cleaners. I had a feeling about it but I went with the Seafoam at my friends recommendation. I also had a thought about the air filter and what impact it might have. I'll do some research and see if I can find one that comes close to the original OEM part.

Thanks for your comments, I'll try to get these things done soon. I am due for a hernia operation at the end of next week and I may have to take some time off from my projects for a few weeks after.....we'll see.....thanks again and God Bless

SteveinIndiana

·
Super Moderator
13,713 Posts
I almost purchased some Berrymans when I was looking for fuel system cleaners. I had a feeling about it but I went with the Seafoam at my friends recommendation.
I guess I missed this reply.
That person is NOT a friend.
It was not designed to do that.
It was made to be a marine fuel stabilizer.
As a cleaner it is under-performing and over priced.

Berrymans B12 or Gumout is much better.
Several other general fuel system cleaners are better.
Seafoam is at the BOTTOM of the list, not the top.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello again guys.

My surgery went well and I was able to get on the Suzuki a few times before I put it in the shed for winter. The backfiring continued and I did not check into the air filters. I plan on doing that soon now that riding season is approaching. I am not sure why but I really like this bike and plan to keep it for at least another year or two. I'd love to have someone take a look at it and get it running properly but the local Suzuki show manager told me he is has worked on this bike before and does not want it back in his shop. He said it was not fixable. I find that hard to believe. Maybe I can find someone around me that has more experience with this model and is willing to help.??? In the mean time I will see if I can find the air filers and replace them, I hear there are two on this model, one up front and one somewhere around the the back tire under the seat. That's all for now. Thanks for listening.

Steve in Indiana

·
Super Moderator
13,713 Posts
The backfiring continued and I did not check into the air filters.
Just for the record.....and to try and clarify the earlier posts:
IF....the mufflers have been removed and replaced with straight pipes or similar
AND
The stock air filters have been replaced with "high flow" models like K&N, it is entirely possible that you will NOT be able to get rid of the popping on decel unless you put those things back to stock, or equivalent.

·
Administrator
176 Posts
Just for the record.....and to try and clarify the earlier posts:
IF....the mufflers have been removed and replaced with straight pipes or similar
AND
The stock air filters have been replaced with "high flow" models like K&N, it is entirely possible that you will NOT be able to get rid of the popping on decel unless you put those things back to stock, or equivalent.
I can confirm this and it's not limited to just the bike and model. Any bike can potentially have this kind of problem, especially in later year models as emissions regulations have become stricter. Retuning may or may not help. There's a lot of science going on there in todays bikes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Guys

I'm sorry for not coming here on a regular basis, but I wanted to update you who have contributed to this thread about the Suzuki S83 Boulevard. It's running a little bit better lately still backfires on deceleration and is sluggish on lower rpms. Funny thing is I LOVE this bike. Can't explain it but I get a sense or experience of ZEN like karma when I'm on the bike. I put another 4 or 5 ounces of Gummout in the tank today and rode it around for a while. It was kinda odd how happy I was just sputtering around the neighborhood. It hauls ass if I give it a good deal of gas, but I try to just cruise on it. It's a blast and I hope to find a cure for "sputter" and the backfiring someday. In the mean time I'll just continue to ride and enjoy the wind on my face. I'm going to start a new thread about another bike I have and the issue I am experiencing with it.

·
Super Moderator
13,713 Posts
I hope to find a cure for "sputter" and the backfiring someday.
See post #7 and read it again.
The engine is running too lean and that is not good for it.

If you refuse to fix the pipes and intake, a fuel controller might help......but then you need to find someone who knows how to tune that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts