Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

New member and 1st Time bike owner.

My 97 Intruder 1400 won’t start. It runs on starter fluid. There is fuel in the bowls. The pump is working. I’ve disassembled and cleaned the carbs twice. I obviously do not have them set up right.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should examine?

Denis
Boston MA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,670 Posts
Air box and filter needs to be in place.
Choke full ON (closed)
Throttle closed.

Might not be enough fuel in the bowls.
Have you tested the fuel FLOW by opening the bowl drains ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Air box and filter needs to be in place.
Choke full ON (closed)
Throttle closed.

Might not be enough fuel in the bowls.
Have you tested the fuel FLOW by opening the bowl drains ?
Ok Easy Rider

Well I have the boxes in place but have removed the elbows so I can access the carbs. Filters too? Really? How come?

Bowl drains - yes. I opened up the front carb and adjusted the float level to spec. Still need to do the rear. I opened the bowl drains and the pump came on and was pushing fuel constantly.

Denis

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I got all the plumbing together. The bike didn’t come with air filters so I’ll get some foam tomorrow. But with the air boxes plumbed in and no filters still no start.

·
Super Moderator
12,670 Posts
Ok I got all the plumbing together. The bike didn’t come with air filters so I’ll get some foam tomorrow. But with the air boxes plumbed in and no filters still no start.
Foam probably won't help much.

The reason for having stock paper filters in place is that makes the mixture a bit richer......if any fuel is present at all. In effect, a little bit of extra choke.

Despite your best efforts, the pilot jet passages might still be clogged.

Have you tried to "nurse" it into running for more than a few seconds by using starting fluid or propane ?
If you have a good cleaner in with the gas, like Berrymans B12, sometimes a forced run like that with the choke full ON will suck cleaner into places that you can't get to.

And finally, were the float adjustment spec's really written to be done with the carb in it's normal upright position ?
Often they are written from a "bench" prospective; that is upside down, and it's almost impossible to translate that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts