Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started planning my first long distance trip, Louisville Ky to Rapid City SD, June - July 2017. i have my load out (bag organized) theoretically, have my route and sleep spots, but im trying to find out what conditions the roads are in and any dangers / precautions i need to consider. Also beiing a history buff and a flag waving, red white and blue loving american, what kind of cool road side thing should i hit? Of course Mt Rushmore, needles hwy, devils tower, deadwood, thunder basin, and Badlands. what else is there on the 1200 mile trip there? any help is nice. I know I 65 through indiana is horrible (putting it lightly) i hope the whole route isnt that bad

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Welcome to the conversation. Well, you've given yourself plenty of time to plan and learn. Before advice can be given some questions. Are you going alone? That C90 should be a great ride on a 1200 mile trip, How much experience do you have? Have you ever done an over nighter? Do you plan on camping along the way? Ride safe.

·
Super Moderator
12,412 Posts
Good that you are planning early but don't over do it.
Road conditions can change in a years time......for the better or worse.

I personally would NOT do a trip like that unless I can have enough time to NOT use the Interstates (except around big cities).
If you use a US route that roughly parallels a major Interstate, they usually have little traffic and are in good shape.
I've used US 41 from Indiana to Atlanta twice and loved the trip. Except for Nashville and Chattanooga the first trip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts