Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I own one of HDs red headed step children so to speak, a 1985 FLHT. It was first year EVO only and was an "odd" year as to many things on it. We;; I bought it back in 1990 with 1304 actual miles, was rear ended in late 91 which forced me to learn to walk again after the swelling in spinal chord went down, had my FLHT rebuilt (near $10K being I chromed all I could on the a$$ wipes dime who rear ended me), and really had no problems riding for the next several years. Fast foreword to past 5 years and the spinal damage has come back to bite me hard. I have lost an inch in height, was only 5'7" before the rear ending, so now I am 5'6" or maybe a tad under. 28" inseam and 290 pounds. So with that said, here is what I need help with:
I need to lower my bike by at least 3". I put a lowering kit on rear shocks but that only dropped me 1". I have contacted MeanCityCycles about seat modification but as they told me the 85FLHT is one that cannot be modified successfully as to stock seat. I was looking at using a 3" shorter shocks on the rear but was warned that would really hurt handling and that was if I could get the 3" shorter shocks to work.
SO has anyone ever lowered an 85 FLHT or know of anyone who has. Any ideas as to how to lower it or who to talk to. One thing I really do NOT want to get into is cut/weld frame modification.

I appreciate ANY help, advice, or pointers to the right place to get my 85 FLHT lowered. It has 22K miles and for sentimental reasons I will not sell it. My wife passed away last month and she loved that bike a swell as riding on back of it so I will not get rid of it.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
3 inches off the shocks is alot.

there are plenty of aftermarket seats that you can get for that bike corbin/mustang. or you might contact russel seats or c&c for a custom built seats. that should buy you another inch. also shortening the fork springs will buy you a little more room. a narrower seat might help with ground reach.

might try at hdforums.com. not much the folks there havent done . or v-twinforum.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I have a couple leads of the forums that might just help me in this. AsTech Seats tell me they have modified the stock 85 seat successfully. IF you look at the seat pan from the bottom, there is room ot dish the seat and add gel plus some foam. Not cheap but that could be the route I go. Also Lepera think the can fabricate a new seat for me, again not cheap but an option. So maybe I can get this done soon.
As to the training wheel option in the one pic, I have ridden a bike with them and they are not for me! The otehr option I have not looked at but I would think at it's price by it's looks, a custom air ride system would be cheaper or as cheap. I found one that adjusts the shocks up or down as you slow to a stop and take off. It is expensive but has some great reviews. The seat deal though loks like my best option so far. IF that does not pan out, a ciustom air ride system will be next.
Again thanks for the replies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts