Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm riding from the Bay Area to Death Valley next week. Who knew that Cali would have record rain and snowfall this season?? (not me) I'm staying in Buttonwillow on I-5 so I can figure out my route from there. The most direct way is highway 58 over Tehachapi Pass - but there's snow predicted for next week. I'm guessing that I-5 to highway 138 will also have snow, as Tejon Pass is about the same elevation as Tehachapi. Am I going to have to cross over to the coast at Santa Maria and head south to Ventura before heading east? That seems like an extra day of riding, but I prefer a safe ride to a fast one. Anyone have any route ideas?

·
Administrator
69 Posts
This time of year I'd go down to Walker Pass but even it has winter storm warnings posted right now. We rode from Hollister California to Texas in December one year and Walker Pass was the only open pass. It's just an iffy time of year for the Sierras. They need the snow badly to help refill the reservoirs and water table though. So it's looking like a good year for that and not such a good year to get over the Sierras for you unfortunately.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This time of year I'd go down to Walker Pass but even it has winter storm warnings posted right now. We rode from Hollister California to Texas in December one year and Walker Pass was the only open pass. It's just an iffy time of year for the Sierras. They need the snow badly to help refill the reservoirs and water table though. So it's looking like a good year for that and not such a good year to get over the Sierras for you unfortunately.
Thanks for your input. I did consider 178 past Lake Isabella, but it is definitely snowed.
I sure don’t resent the rain and snow - California needs it badly. Just a matter of bad timing on my part.

·
Super Moderator
13,512 Posts
I'm riding from the Bay Area to Death Valley next week.

That seems like an extra day of riding, but I prefer a safe ride to a fast one. Anyone have any route ideas?
This sounds like a really BAD idea to me.....as it might turn out to be your worst nightmare.

My advice: Don't do it. Not right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This sounds like a really BAD idea to me.....as it might turn out to be your worst nightmare.

My advice: Don't do it. Not right now.
Thanks for your response. I think I’ll take 101 to Ventura and then head east from there - no snow or ice, and temps above 50 degrees.

·
Super Moderator
13,512 Posts
Thanks for your response. I think I’ll take 101 to Ventura and then head east from there - no snow or ice, and temps above 50 degrees.
Good luck.
I don't know if riding through Metro LA would be better or worse that snow in the mountains.

·
Registered
6 Posts
SIX DAYS LATER :

Did you go ? .

Did you make it and home again okay ? .

The problem is : you have to go over the mountains that ring Death Valley and they're usually snowy at this time of year .

I went on my annual vintage Moto ride to Death Valley this year in October and it was great of chilly and very windy .

I hope you had a great time and will return .

·
Administrator
69 Posts
I was sorta wondering the same. If he got there he could easily get stuck there. Love Death Valley but you just never know about the weather there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts